1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Lamp Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmlynch, Dec 14, 2023.

1. tmlynch

tmlynch New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought I was prepared to replace the passenger side halogen lamp in my daughter's 09 Prius, but I find that I have hit two snags that I hope you all can help with.

1. Moving the washer fluid reservoir would create more space, but I was unable to get it loose from the lower mount. Does anyone have any tips on how to release the clip?

I see two prongs sticking up. I tried pushing them apart, and squeezing them together while I lifted, but no luck.

2. I could reach the socket for the bulb, but could not get it off the prongs of the bulb. On more accessible sockets, I could see that there were clips that must be pressed to loosen the socket. I can't see all sides of the headlight socket to know if it has one, too. Any info, or suggestions for getting the socket off is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have an '09 I do not have to remove anything even when I swapped out the halogen bulbs for the aux beam S1 series Cobb LEDs H4 put the plate right in squeeze the tabs it locks that down stick the bulb in the plastic disc you just inserted index properly plug it up turn it on and let it rip I have not had to move anything I don't believe in my generation twos to fit the bulbs in on either side Good luck You can do it there's a woman with a video that doesn't I don't know 30 seconds Google 30 second Prius bulb change and watch the girl do it. The best thing I can tell you is if you are the type that ever goes to the junkyard or can get to a Prius that's got the front end dismantled pretty much and be able to have a look at a headlight or if you're able to go somewhere that has a Prius headlight in stock for sale and you can turn it around and look at it undo the clips while you're looking at it fold them down put a bulb in squeeze and do it then turn it sideways and try to do it without looking and that's that.

tmlynch likes this.
  3. tmlynch

tmlynch New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks!

I haven't found a video from a woman, but I did find one that did a pretty good job of showing me the socket. It does have pinch points to release.

I may need to find some skinnier fingers. :)

#3 tmlynch, Dec 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2023