1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight level sensor corroded?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timg, Apr 17, 2008.

1. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to investigate a squeak in the backend. I could hear the squeak while driving and also if you get out of the car and press down a bit on the bumper, etc.

So the dealer got back to me and said it ended up being the headlight level sensor getting corroded and it was swinging/rubbing when the car shook causing the squeak.

Has anybody heard of this happening? The repair is $485 although he said he is calling Toyota to see if they'll cover some of the repair. I am out of warranty (3 year/36,000 mile) on my 2006 with 45,000 miles, otherwise it would have been covered and it's not something that can really be lubricated.

Any thoughts?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A number of the sensors failed on earlier Prius, but I haven't heard about any problems with the newer ones. They do move up and down with the suspension, so the story seems consistent.

Tom

3. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just picked my car up and it was of course still squeaking. Since the guys at the dealership narrowed down the area I decided to crawl under there and see what was going on.

I didn't notice any corrosion in/around the headlight sensor and had a friend push on the car while I was down there listening. I noticed a small metal bar that was acting as a hinge (best way I can describe it at the moment) and got a can of WD-40 and gave each of the joints a squirt. Squeak GONE!!

I think I just saved myself a big repair bill so I'm pretty happy :)

4. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

The warning light for that sensor circuit lights intermittently. I'll have to get under there and see if there is a loose wire or something. Exactly where is(are) the sensor(s)? What do they look like?

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a PDF from another PC poster on repairing his 2004 headlight level sensor. I wish I could give him name credit, but I only have his PDF. (about 600Kb)

Attached Files:

6. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

I could not ask for anything better. A new one is $318. I'll give it a try.

7. MurrysvillePrius

MurrysvillePrius New Member

I do want to know what Toyota says. I just had my son take our, 04', in and after $118 for diagnostics(?) they are saying the part is $335 plus 2.5 hrs labor for a total of $675!!!!!!!!!!!. I told him to leave after the diagnostics.
    This is sounding like the beginning of a recall. My warning light allways comes on because of this seconds after the car starts. What to do with Toyota?

8. jpenny1965

jpenny1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius. The warning light came on last night. I removed the sensor, took it apart and the contacts and springs were corroded. I cleaned everything up, put it back to together, and put it on the car. Voila, it's fixed.

This saved me a ton of money. Thanks so much for posting the fix. It took me less than an hour for the entire repair and I didn't have to remove the rear wheel. I just jacked up the left rear.

9. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wd40 is a cleaner, not meant to be lubricant. You might want to squirt some real oil in there.

10. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting thread, my job as a rural mail carrier means miles of country roads. I saw that sensor on my car as a possible problem and improvised a cover of used tire innertube rubber covering the sensor, mainly to protect it from excess mud. Sort of draped it over the sensor , tied on one end. I do not drive it on the truly muddy days, 5+ hours can really build up the mud, and the price quoted means... I really don't want to have to fix that. 30 k miles since covering the sensor and no issue so far.

Is it lubricatable? , externally, haven't thought of that. It really is at the worst area for dust etc, I'll probably leave alone until it requires attention.

11. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

Interesting how the dealers try to rip us off. Go back & look at posts 7 & 8. jpenny in post #8 took his sensor off, dis-assembled it, cleaned it, re-assembled it, & re-installed it, all in less than an hour. While Murrysville's dealer's PROFESSIONAL mechanic needs 2.5 hours just to remove the sensor & install a brand new one (should take only 10 minutes). Of course they should check the calibration of the sensor & aiming motor system to be sure the lights are properly aimed [according to the technical service bulletin issued on this problem back when it first became an issue (back in 2006, I think)]. I would think the whole job would only take about 1/2 hour, even with the calibration. I don't remember how long it took them to do mine back in 2006 & 60,000 miles ago, but I was also getting an oil chg & tire rotation too. I think I was out of there in only an hour (or less).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

12. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

Mine is corroded beyond repair. One of the prongs broke off in the connector. A new wiring harness costs over $750. (the only way to get a new connector). It seems that the connector can be dis-assembled. There is a white part that comes forward quite easily. The rear water plugs are easily removed, but I can't move the metal parts. Does anyone know how to dis-assemble the connector or otherwise get the broken prong out?

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd scrounge scrap yards for a harness. If you're *very* careful you can splice in the replacement harness connector. You MUST use heatshrink to seal the splice, or corrosion will start in the wires themselves

14. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

Scrap yard owners know the cost of new parts. No one is going to sell me a $700 dollar harness for less than $300. If I can find a damaged harness, then I might get the connector for $20 or so. If I do a splice, I will do it inside the car where it will stay dry. I am confident that the connector can be dis-assembled. I just have to find out how to do it.

15. mglenn

mglenn Junior Member

Thanks so much for the PDF. Turned out one spring was so corroded it disintegrated. Are these 'gold-plated' springs? Any suggestion of where to get one?

Mike

16. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is the TSB for this posted anywhere?

Chris

17. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Chris,

The TSB is EL004-06 from April 28th, 2006. There are references to it here & at PriusOnLine [where mrv posted a link for me back in August (around the 22nd) of 2006 in the thread entitled "Recall done" for my benefit]. The problem is that none of the links work any more, so unless you subscribe to one of the services that come up while doing the search or join the Prius Yahoo group (which I think is free), you can't see the specifics.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

18. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made the same repair on my 04 about 2 years ago. Too bad I didn't have this pdf. Two of the three springs were bad in mine. I used a spring from a ball point pen and cut it in half. It worked perfectly. Two years later, I haven't seen the MIL once.

19. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ken,

Thanks for the update I appreciate it.

Chris

20. jimdesimone

jimdesimone New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have fixed the sensor,however has anyone had the spot miscolor on the MFD where the warning light showes up.it is a faded spot