1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlight malfunction on 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by carolc43, Feb 23, 2012.

1. carolc43

carolc43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have had headlights go out 2 times in last month and half. Replace both headlights first time. Agency at a loss for cause. Any thoughts.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does this mean that only one light went out the first time, and you replaced the good one, which I'm guessing is still the original bulb, at the same time? The new bulbs were likely from the same lot, that may be bad. You can try contacting the bulb manufacturer.

Did the bulbs actually burst the second time? If they got dirty and weren't cleaned before use, halogen bulbs can break from the dirt affecting heat dissipation. If the bulb socket wasn't seated right and allowed water into the light fixture can also do the same.

3. carolc43

carolc43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I was driving down the interstate at night and both lights went out. AAA towed to Toyota service for next day replacement of both lights. Now I'm told by the service department that they can't turn the lights off. Ever heard of this?
    Thanks for answering.