1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Silver Surfer, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

I recently purchased the Xpel headlight protection film from Xpel, and then had one of their dealers install it for me last week. I already had a chip in one light, but wanted to save any further chipping.
    Last night coming home from dinner was the first chance I had to use the lights at night. BIG disappointment.

I turned on the lights and it looked like either there was a spider's web or someone's fingers in front of the lights. They cast weblike shadows out on the road. I still cannot see what is causing it. I checked in the garage and sure enough it is still casting those shadows with the lights. They were not there prior to the film.

I have a call/email in to Xpel (they are closed until monday), I did speak with the dealer (Autoshield Carolina) who installed and he said he had no idea and was not that familiar with the Xpel headlight product ??

Anyone else have this experience?

More importantly, I need to remove them. The dealer/installer said to pull them off with a little heat, but was unsure of what solvent to use to get off any remaining sticky residue as he was not sure what kind of plastics are used in the Prius headlight.

Any help in what to use would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just mix up a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. It works best in a hand spray bottle, if you have one. Or soak a small towel in it and lay it over the headlamp for a few minutes to soften the stuff up. Once soaked in this solution the plastic film will almost fall right off. This doesn't harm the paint in my experience, but will probably take any wax off the paint.

Is the film clear and feels like vinyl? There is a 3M product that is very clear, about 3/32" thick vinyl that is intended for headlamp protection. It will scratch though so be careful when cleaning it.

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 23 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]543223[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks david,
    I'll give it a try next week if I don't get any more input
    :)

4. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was told Turtlewax ICE works well on the clear vinyls

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Nov 23 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]543208[/snapback]</div>
    I installed mine nearly 4 years ago and have had no problems. It's hard to believe that a clear film would cast shadows.