1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HEADLIGHT question (probably the millionth)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by virtualdood, Jun 16, 2009.

1. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

In a house with a mouse, on an island amongst the
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got some down time. Reading owners manuals etc. Well, working my way to the BIG books LOL.

1 question on the headlights. Is auto headlights simply a function of the dial switch on the headlight arm?

seems like physically the US models just lack the extra notch for the auto position. Meaning if one were to by OEM replacement light control arm... the auto lights would function right?

I am presuming the little black dome under windshield on the driver side is a light sabor.

YES I said light sabor. Just seeing if u were paying attention. :laser: hahaaa

Any way, it looks like the setup is for auto, just not included on the control arm for the headlights.

Any one know if this is simply the case and can be replaced by an auto arm?

thanks

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No, it's much more involved. For example, the required wires aren't even there. If you leave the headlamp switch in the on position the headlamps will go out when you shut off the car and open the drivers door. So you're half way to auto headlamps. ;)

Canadian cars have auto headlamps, but if you wanted to purchase one you'd be paying about $5000 more for the car. Also you couldn't get a touring, or leather. In the GII. The GIII has both now.

1 person likes this.
  3. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bummer. I always wonder with gizmos in similar cars (or whatever) if it's just a hidden switch or missing lever. :doh:

just the luck of the draw. or the market LOL

thanks

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV software is in there without the switch, so that's one thing you could add.

As David said, the US cars get "Auto-Off" headlights. We get full automatic headlights (i.e. on and off with a dedicated AUTO position on the headlight stalk)

1 person likes this.
  5. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland,

David said the wiring isn't there. What part is the EV?

You're saying we can add the wiring or the switch? if it's just the new light switch (arm) i on't think that would horribly difficult. If that easy, i'd order a new arm ASAP. If the wiring, then :(

The dome is a light sensor though, right? So maybe nearly everything is existent. Just need to add the final pices? :)

BTW how good does the ipod ICE line work? That almost is a necessary item :)

thanks

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The EV switch allows -limited- movement (not what most people would call "driving") using electric parts only, keeping the engine off. If you accelerate slowly and keep your speed down perhaps a few minutes of operation. Most use it to shift the car around the driveway. The firmware (software) is in the North American cars, you just have to add a switch to enable it. The wiring for this is also not there, as you have to "tap into" the existing wiring. This can also affect your battery warranty.

The switch is in the 2010 model, is in the Highlander Hybrid in North America, and is in the European and elsewhere GII and GIII cars.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What David said. The firmware is there.

8. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ooh..I like E.V. Yeah, i read that in the 2010 models. Now i know what you guys mean. That is super cool.

So that's an installable mod, barring warranty of course :eek:

But yeah, that's really a super deal being able to manually go electric for put put in around. I mean as it sits the prius is pretty good about using electric automatically. But manually is neato ;)