Headlight stays on for 1 minute max — if it’s not the bulb and not the ballast what could it be?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by purgatorrie, Feb 9, 2019.

1. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried posting this question earlier but no one responded and I’m desperate enough to try again.

Since a little over a week ago, I’ve replaced both HID bulbs in my 2008 TWICE. I replaced the driver’s side bulb and it wouldn’t come back on at all. Took it to my mechanic and he put in a new ballast, but afterwards the driver’s side light would only stay on for exactly one minute before turning off.

I thought maybe the first time it was a fluke or a bad bulb. Bought another pair of Phillips brand D4Rs and had my mechanic install them to mitigate any possibility of my headlight replacement inexperience being the problem. Same issue remains.

New ballast. New bulbs. Cannot get them to stay on for over a minute. What else could possibly be the problem? No one seems to have any clue and I’ve certainly stumped my mechanic.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you have stumped us here as well. Personally I would buy 2 new headlights from a junkyard and try those before going to the dealer.

3. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think I explained this part that well but I’ve now tried two completely new sets of HID bulbs so I feel like the chance of it still being a bulb issue is pretty slim :( To complicate things I just tried to turn it on and the odometer screen is black. This has happened several times in the past and it’s always appeared again after a “cheat code” of pressing start without brakes, opening the door, and pressing start again with the brakes depressed. However this time it didn’t work. I went through the self diagnostic on the touchscreen to see if it was an issue with the 12V battery but it’s outputting voltage completely within the normal range.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A bad ballast can damage a good bulb.

So if you put good headlight into a bad ballast. Bam. New bulb is now no good.

So then after installing a new ballast you end up also buying new bulbs again. Very frustrating.

So you are saying you put new bulbs in after putting in the new ballasts?

Odometer screen going black is a completely different problem. And once it starts happening it is a warning to you to get it fixed. Because eventually it is going to remain off permanently.
    You will either need to replacing it with a different unit, or send it out to get fixed.

5. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the first set of new bulbs was installed before the ballast was replaced, but the second pair was afterwards when the “quirk” of turning off after a minute immediately showed up.

Re: the odometer, what unit do you mean needs replacement? I heard some bandying about on YouTube of the term combination meter?

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the combination meter (which includes the odometer).
    There are services that will sell you repaired combination meters. You need to send them yours as a core.

If you used Toyota ballasts and are still having a problem, then I suppose next thing to do is to check the wiring going to the ballasts.

7. MBold

MBold New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am having the same issue, though I haven’t replaced the ballasts. Apparently there are issues with our model headlights. It was pretty close to recall.
    This leads me to believe it’s not an easy fix. My car runs great, but I’m thinking of trading it in because the dealership won’t give me a price on fixing the headlight. All of a sudden they have no idea what’s wrong and cannot even give an estimate, it may be thousands to fix...