1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight theft, anti-theft alarm sytem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pepe, Feb 16, 2007.

1. pepe

pepe New Member

I just bought a 2007 with package #2 and am not sure
    if the headlights are the HID ones desired by thieves.
    Any help out there?

Also, the dealer worked hard to sell the theft deterrant
    alarm sytem. It appears as if the car is rather difficult
    to hot wire and drive away. What is the benefit of the
    alarm other than noise? Does it add another layer of
    engine immobilization? I haven't had it installed yet
    and can still opt out if I think it is not worth the money.

There is a shortage of actual technical knowledge published
    regarding what is built into the car already and is merely
    enabled by the optional extra bucks system.

I'm not near my car now but I think it already has a flashing
    red light as a visible deterrant. If somebody breaks my windows,
    I'm already hosed, it is too late to save a huge expense.

Are wheel lug locks a good idea?

Thanks

2. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepe @ Feb 16 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]391481[/snapback]</div>
    About the lug locks, gotta tell you what happened to me. I had a lock on each wheel. So the scumballs took all the other lugs off of all the wheels, leaving me with one lugnut (the lock) on each wheel.

I woke up and started driving to work and got about 4 miles before my car started driving like a soggy donut rolling down a flight of stairs. Worst part was, I was on a long bridge when the everthing came apart.

If you live in Maryland, I would suggest getting 5 sets of locks, and putting a lock on every lug. That's what I did the next day.

As for the alarm, an alarm is good if YOU hear it, but the scumballs couldn't care less about it. Car alarms here are just noise pollution. There is no stopping them from taking your HID headlights unless you keep the car secured in a garage.

Good luck to you.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hi pepe

Take a look at your "window sticker" - If you have HID headlights under the heading "EXTERIOR" and "HID Headlamps & Intregrated Fog Lamps" The easiest way is to see whether you have the fog lamps - if you have fog lamps, you have HID Headlamps. The fog lamps are also the giveaway to thieves who want the HIDs.

:angry: The "wheel experience" of the previous poster is another attest to the stupidity of thieves... to remove 4 lugnuts on each of all 4 tires after finding the "locks" - but that could have been a nasty prank after finding they couldn't steal your wheels.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I have no idea why anyone would want to steal Prius wheels. 15" wheels with "rim protector" tires aren't very desirable. I suspect it was a stupid prank.

The alarm adds the glass breakage sensor (around $200). Roll down a front door window, and leave and lock the car. Put the fob at least 50 ft away (in a metal box if possible), and reach in and open the car. The alarm should trigger (horn and lights).

Further, Prius has a vehicle immobilizer. Without the fob nearby the engine will not start. Without a flatbed, good luck stealing it.

5. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

I should clarify: They stole the lugs on a Dodge Challenger, not my Prius.
    And yes, it was just to be mean. That's how people are around here.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepe @ Feb 16 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]391481[/snapback]</div>
    Package 2 does not come with HID.

The easiest way to tell if a U.S. model Prius has HID headlights, is to look for the fog lamps. The two go together. If you have HID you have fog lamps. If you don't, you don't.