1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight wiring got shorted out?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ThePrius11, Dec 9, 2022.

1. ThePrius11

ThePrius11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So, I got smoke coming from the hood when I turned the headlights on. The right headlight wouldn't turn on. I took off the front bumper and the right headlight and found that one of the light bulbs (for the low beam, short distance light) was broken (attachment #1). I also found the actual part that smoked (attachments #2, 3, and 4).

How do I know whether that part still works or I need to buy a new one? Is it ok if I just replace the light bulb and try if it works? I'm kinda worried because these are Xenon light bulbs which are a couple times more expensive than LED bulbs and I don't want to risk damaging one right away. Plus, I don't want to completely destroy the part that smoked.

Thanks for your help
    Gio

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      137.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      122.4 KB
      Views:
    #1 ThePrius11, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That ballast looks like it's toasted, or is it just dirty? I'd replace the ballast and the bulb, not just the bulb.

That's one of those expensive Hylux instant on HID ballasts, right?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ThePrius11 likes this.
  3. ThePrius11

ThePrius11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you, xliderider, for your quick response.

Yes, I'm afraid that's a Hylux ballast.

The metal part of the ballast seems to be intact. It's just covered with dirt. It's the rubber cuboid that smoked and melted a little bit.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I I've used a bunch of these brands of HID lights I can tell by the bulb that I wouldn't call these very expensive let me ask you this on that bulb assembly with the bar that runs from the front of the light glass to the back on the plastic portion of the housing Is there a dial that you can turn that lets the bulb float for and a half in the plastic housing thereby putting the ball of light that the bulb produces fore or aft in the housing you can dial it in while the bulb is screwed into the housing? I used to buy these HID sets both bulbs both ballast and the wiring for like $69 I still have receipts in my Amazon account for them bought five six years ago they started out around $130 a set very quickly went to 50 60. Then I bought one or two sets even had one on my motorcycle then LED started coming out very quickly by the time my HIDs of this type were discussing started to falter and go bad I was able to swap them right to LED and never looked back matter of fact I still have a car with this type of HID on one side and an LED on the other and I'll take the LEDs any day to not have ballast and extra parts for my headlight I don't live in the car at night anymore like I did when I was 25 I think a lot of people don't much anymore it's just kind of a worn off type of thing unless you live or make your living driving at night.

ThePrius11 likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the part that shorted out contained a capacitor. Since it was a part of the ballast assembly, you should replace the ballast, along with the blown out bulb.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ThePrius11 likes this.
  6. ThePrius11

ThePrius11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Tombukt2. I'm sorry for my late reply. I got a new job and was busy with orientation the whole week.

You're right about the bulb. It must have been cheap. I couldn't find any dial on the plastic housings of the bulb and couldn't move glass and the bar in either direction. It's just, the bulb seem to have been worn out and the glass tube as well as the white bar moved around instead of being fixed in the plastic base. This might have caused the short circuit because the headlight wouldn't turn on when I was moving the switch on the lever. I've attached a few pictures of that bulb.

I bought even cheaper bulbs, a pair for 11 or so dollars. They seem to be working fine at least for the time being. They don't have the dials either but the glass portion and the bar are fixed tightly in the plastic base. I can't move them around and that makes me feel safer :)) Anyway, I'm going to replace those bulbs with LEDs as soon as I can afford.

Attached Files:

7. ThePrius11

ThePrius11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You're right, xliderider. That torched part must have been a capacitor. It contained a battery cell which stinked really badly. I removed it from the ballast and the ballast seems to work just fine now. A clerk at a local store told me to do so. I hope the ballast won't blow up until I replace it with a new one.

I also replaced the damaged bulb. That bulb must have caused the short circuit leaving the circuit without load, I guess. Anyway, thanks again for your helpful replies :))

#7 ThePrius11, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022