1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlights go out monthly?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jnt4659, May 21, 2015.

1. jnt4659

jnt4659 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are newer to hybrids. We purchased a used 2012 prius approximately 1 year ago. Within the past year, we have replaced the headlights approximately 6 times. Last month we replaced both front lights and tonight, out of no where 3 lights burnt out (both headlights and 1 bright light). It was dark outside and we live in a rural area so we had to drive 90 miles with 1 bright and the 2 day time lamps. Just wondering if this is a common problem? We maybe have changed bulbs in other vehicles once every couple of years and this is a monthly thing with our Prius. They aren't cheap so it's frustrating. My husband has been changing the bulbs and he does not touch the glass. Any advice out there is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a TSB-0204-12

2010 Toyota Prius TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | ToyotaProblems.com scroll down to exterior lighting: headlights.

Which addresses your issue. The wiring harness to the headlights is replaced.

The TSB includes 2010-11 models, but it sounds like you are having the same problem.

Merged Also, do you leave the headlight switch in the "On" position constantly, even when shutting down and starting the car?

If so, try turning the headlights off, at least before starting the Prius up, before turning the headlights on again. Your headlights will probably last a lot longer.

#2 xliderider, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  3. Pat L

Pat L New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Did anyone have a diagnosis for your problem?
    I’m having the same problems.

Thanks Pat Lopez

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    See post #2 first paragraph. Free fix if you need an incentive to read the post.

5. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Pat:

Your profile says you have a 2009 Prius (Gen 2). I don't believe the TSB referenced above applies to Gen 2. Those cars that have HID headlights (i.e. those with factory fog lamps) are known to have bulbs that will fail after a number of years. If you find that your replacement bulbs are also failing, it's possible that the ones you are buying are not up to OEM standards or your ballast (also known as headlight ECU) may need to be replaced. There are many discussions regarding this issue on this forum. Here is one thread:

HID headlight (cover too tight) help? | PriusChat

I hope this helps.