1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights go out with fog lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seth Davis, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I just got a 2007 Prius Touring model yesterday. While driving to work this morning, I noticed my headlights were off, but the fog lights were still on. So, I turned all the lights off and back on and the headlights came back on. After a couple of minutes they turned off again.

So, I turned off the lights again, flipped the fog lights off, and then turned the headlights back on. They stayed on with no problems. So, I turned the fog lights back on (with the headlights still on). After a couple of minutes, the headlights went out again, but the fog lights were still on.

So, it looks like if I have my fog lights on, the headlights go out. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car has high intensity discharge headlights, since you have fog lights. The HID bulbs probably need to be replaced since they are intermittently producing light.

Try leaving the fog lights off and see how long the headlights continue to produce light. IMO the fog lights primarily serve a cosmetic purpose; they do not improve the driver's ability to actually see the driving terrain.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The so called fog lights mainly serve to make the car be seen by others.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the ballasts or HID bulbs aren't defective, then I'd be worried that the small current draw the foglights place on the electrical system is causing a problem. The car should have much more capacity than that to handle electrical demands.

Perhaps the 12v auxiliary battery is getting weak and nearing it's time for replacement?

SCH-I535

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the 05 you can't turn the fog lights on without first having the HIDs on. Perhaps there is an aftermarket switch that has been installed incorrectly?

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the car come with the extended warranty? Patrick is correct, your bulbs are going out and need replacement, with an extended you might luck out, there was a tsb about the bulbs, shouldn't be hard to find, might not apply, well worth looking for.

7. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have more updates and I don't believe the problem is tied to the fog lights like I originally thought. Now, even with the fog lights off, a headlight will go out a few minutes after turning them on. But here is the kicker... it could be the left... or it could be the right.

It's totally random as to which one may go out. Only if the fog lights are on does it seem both will go out at the same time (sometimes). This leads me to believe it's an electrical problem.

Would bad ballasts for the HIDs cause weird issues like this? I'm lead to believe the bulbs should be ok.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is more likely that the HID bulb is bad, than the ballast. I suggest that you replace the bulb on one side, and see what happens.

Unless your car was in a front-end accident, I doubt that there is a problem with the wiring harness.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with Patrick that the HID bulbs are likely the problem.
    There is it seems a difference in the operation of the fogs in the US compared with Europe. Here the fogs can be operated with just the side lights " no need for headlamps" as having the headlamps on with the fogs would defeat the purpose of fog lamps. Reflected light from the headlamps from the fog reducing vision that the fogs are positioned to avoid.

John (Britprius)

10. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again. I'm going to follow Patrick's suggestion and get some new bulbs. I'm going to get a pair of 6k while I'm at it. Maybe that will brighten it up a bit more. Supposedly there is a way to change them without having to take the bumper off. Hopefully this is the case.

Thanks again for the help. I'll update once I get them installed.

()

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The bulbs with the brightest, effective downroad illumination is in the 5k to 4.3K color temp. 6k and higher is just for looks.

12. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doh. That figures.

13. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, bulbs are changed. Looks like Patrick was right. The bulbs were cloudy in the middle chamber. Changing them was a pain, but was doable without taking the bumper off. Needless to say Toyota dropped the ball designing the engine bay on that one.

Regardless, all is well. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on your success. Before you declare victory though, I suggest you leave the headlights on for an extended period at night to make sure they turn on, and stay on.

15. Seth Davis

Seth Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rode with them on today in the rain for about 30 minutes without a hitch or a glitch. They are definitely acting like normal headlights now.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US it is generally unlawful for fog lights to be turned on, independent of the headlights.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK fogs can only be used in poor visibility conditions, fog, falling snow, or heavy rain and spray. Not doubting you for one moment, but seems strange that the design of a flat beam of light close to the road to get under the fog, and light the road should have to be only be used with headlamps blinding the driver with reflected glare from the fog.

John (Britprius)

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is probably why, in the US, fog lights primarily serve a cosmetic purpose. When the fog lights on my 2004 are turned on, I can barely see a slight increase in the light pattern at the bottom of my viewing range.

In the US, if the vehicle is in motion and if there is a need to turn any lights on (after sunset, in rainy conditions, etc.) then the headlights must be on. You cannot legally drive the car with only parking lights on for example.

There is no restriction regarding when fog lights are on, which results in some drivers leaving them on all the time, which irritates and blinds oncoming traffic...