1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights - have to switch on/off to turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EastR, Dec 10, 2012.

1. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All. Have a 2006 Prius with fog lights (127K miles) and having issues with the headlights. When I first turn on headlights, the left light turns on (white-light) then turns off after less than a second. If I turn the lights on/off, the left light will do the same thing (white-light) on then off. When I turn the lights on/off a third time, the left light will come on (with a blue-glow light) and stay on. This has been happening for the past week, requiring me to flick the lights on/off three times every time I turn on the car and need lights. And the color of the light from when it turns off to when it stays on also baffles me. Fog lights work just fine, as well as the right headlight bulb. Any ideas on how to diagnose this? Would like to just buy the parts at my local parts store and repair myself to save on the dealership costs but don't know whether I will just need the bulbs or anything else? (and do people have any suggestions for brand/type of bulbs?) I have heard many things about the headlights from this generation of Prius but I have only owned the car for approx. 2 years and never had to change a bulb on it yet. Thanks!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the classic symptom of impending HID bulb failure. People on PC have been getting replacements through Amazon. Beware of cheap knock offs. Good youtube videos show how to replace.

3. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Great, thanks. So just the bulbs? Any recommended brand or type?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius