1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights hazy and yellowed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soylent, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My headlights on my 2006 are hazy and yellow and the light output is reduced. I tried some plastic headlight cleaner stuff but it was clear for like a month, and now it looks even worse than before.

Any other ideas?

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i've heard toothpaste (the white paste kind) or soft scrub - it's a mild abrasive....haven't tried either one, but pretty sure I read somewhere they may work. Very fine grit sandpaper might do it as well. I'd get a plastic polish to use afterward, too.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Polishes can help a lot, but they take a lot of effort or an electric polisher.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have noticed a similar problem with my 2004. I understand that the plastic cleaner removes the UV protection on the plastic, so the ultimate solution probably requires replacing the headlight assemblies when you get tired of periodically applying the cleaner.

5. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was once told by a travelling car detailer that the trick was car polish. Once You've cleaned them and they're clear, You polish them as You would a car with the car polish. He used the green can of turtle wax.

Never done it myself, so I could be dead wrong, but that's what he swore by

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My headlights were scratched fairly bad on the top, I first used
    Acrylic Scratch Remover by Quixx which improved but still left a cloudy haze in some areas.

Then I used Meguiar's Plastx which improved the clarity , not to new but close. I did this last fall and haven't reapplied. I do park my car when it may rain; due to my driving on country roads , and this may extend its usefulness.