1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights, Interior lights, windows, dashboard, and signal lights all work but car won't start..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paula1995, Dec 5, 2016.

1. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay so I got into an accident last Monday, in which my left driver side of the vehicle was hit. After the accident i drove it home fine and it worked fine. I was ordered to take my car to a shop and then contact my insurance so they can handle the rest, which seemed easy for me. The only problem was that not allot of shops would work with a Prius. After searching for the whole week one day the car just signed a big red triangle with an exclamation in it and other lights shined also. Shortly after this occurred my cars battery went from middle orange level to low 1 purple bar then the engine turned off. I am currently waiting for a shop to pick up my vehicle to tow to their yard. But i would like to know if anyone had experienced this problem before, I need advice.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Paula, sorry about your accident, at least it didn't sound like you got hurt.

Did you leave it sitting during the time you were looking for a shop?

Does your car have smart key?

What is your total mileage?

How severe is damage and where exactly?

3. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sat for like 3 days . Yes my car has a fob key. It has 117k miles. It was hit on the front driver side IMG_3805.JPG . It was not leaking at first but after moving it off my drive way one day their was pink color liquid dripping from my car. It is at the shop right now but my insurance keeps saying that they are only going to fix the parts of the car that were caused by the accident. Which makes no sense to me because i am paying full coverage and my car was fine before this accident.

iPhone ?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the shoppe and insurance adjuster will determine what was affected by the accident. sometimes you have to push back if they don't think certain problems were caused by it. you need the shoppe manager to show you what they found and why something isn't covered.

an accident like yours can do a lot more damage than appears to the untrained eye. did you find a shoppe that specializes in hybrids?

5. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the shop was referred to me by the insurance because it was the only one to specialize in hybrids.

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good. have they already specifically stated that the coolant leak isn't related to the accident?

i think they mean that if you had a pre existing condition, they are not responsible to pay for repair. example, a dent in your hatch.

7. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the car new from a dealer and it was fine no problems and after the accident all this happened. It was not leaking before the accident. It was in good condition

iPhone ?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood. but you can't expect them to pay for all the problems that occur after an accident for an unlimited amount of time, they have to be caused by the accident. this can get quite dodgy.

9. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thank you so much . Hopefully this works out well

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the moment you are going to have to trust that the body shop/mechanics have enough expertise and are honest enough that they will know what damage was caused by the accident.

In that sort of situation, lots of things can get pushed and shoved. Indeed, I would not be surprised if the vehicle will be close to a total (meaning they will not repair it, but will give you a check for the value of the car.) It's worth around $2500. I am guessing repairs will exceed that figure.

Anyway, don't worry about it until they come to back to you with what they are deciding to do. As I said, it may be a moot point, because if I had to bet, this will be a total.

BTW, if that is your real address in Sac. on your profile, I would consider changing to something more generic, just the name of your city would be great....'cause you never know when Bisco is going to get a urge for going West and you may find him on your doorstep.

FWIW, when my husband broke my front driver's side headlamp back in 2008, it was $900....

Finally, the value figure I am giving is low....Kelly BB says from around $2K to around $4K. In my experience insurance adjusters tend to try to push the low-side figure. A lot depends on the particular insurance company. I have fought that battle twice before and have the scars to prove it, so to speak...Kris

#10 cyberpriusII, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    paula1995 and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny you should mention that, i have relatives in sac...

12. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From the picture, it looks like the coolant may have come from the inverter or the radiator. Fuse box and inverter might have been shoved around. Check your a/c when you can, the condenser coil may have also suffered damage. See if you can get the codes that were thrown off when all the lights came on the dash.

Document as much as you can, information in hand goes a long way in getting the insurance company to pay.

paula1995 likes this.
  13. paula1995

paula1995 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you !!

iPhone ?

14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought all your relatives were in:

upload_2016-12-6_11-34-44.png

Sorry, I am home sick -- that, plus a big dumping of snow early this morning is giving me cabin fever. :rolleyes:

15. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think this thread just went off the rails. :eek::D

bisco likes this.
  16. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize. I will be good and not tease Bisco anymore (today, anyway).
    kris