1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights keep blowing out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rcaban, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rcaban

rcaban Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 Prius Three and one thing I have noticed is that the headlights don't last nearly as long as other vehicles I've owned. I drive 104 miles per day round trip, and I do leave my headlights on all the time but that has always been my driving habits. Thus far, I have been through 3 sets of headlamps, mostly low beam. Also low beam seems very weak, always better with the high beams on. Anyone experience this and if so, is it normal or might I have an electrical issue. Also, pointing me in the direction of longer lasting whiter headlights would be great. Thank you in advance.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Leaving your lights in the On position is most likely the cause of your short bulb life problem. At startup, there is voltage/current instability and fluctuations, the additional load your headlights are placing on the systems aren't helping.

The voltage fluctuations are likely stressing the filament in the bulbs each time you power on the car.

Waiting even 5 seconds after powering on the car before turning your lights on will most likely solve your problem.

Also, make sure the bulbs aren't touched with oily bare skin when they are installed. The oils from your skin, even if they appear clean, is enough to leave an oily film on the bulb that will cause a hotspot which can lead to the bulb to crack and fail.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Light output and bulb life, or longevity, are generally opposite for halogen bulbs. The brighter the bulb, the shorter the bulb is expected to last.

Many people get aftermarket HID kits for the increased light output, up to 3x the light, and increased bulb life. HID bulbs can last a very long time because there is no filament to burn out.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

4. daddycooling

daddycooling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope. There is a tsb for this. If you take it in under the 36k warranty then will replace the headlamp wiring harness. After the warranty, good luck getting them to do it for free. It is a known issue. 3 hours labor maybe plus the harness?

iPhone ?

Ohiki Guernsey likes this.