1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights not working after inverter replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Drew Ready, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Drew Ready

Drew Ready Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,

After the car shut down and had to be towed to the dealer,the inverter was replaced (fortunately we were just under the 80k mile hybrid warranty). The problem now is that the headlights and parking lights are not working. We took the car back to the dealer who said it was no doubt burnt out headlight bulbs. I told them that the parking lights were also not working and they insisted it is the headlight bulbs.

I went home and replaced the bulbs, no luck. I replaced the 20amp headlight fuse, no luck. Anyway, we are planning on taking the car back to the dealer but thought we'd ask here if anyone knows what might be going on, and importantly if this is something we will be expected to pay for to fix.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Drew

2. Drew Ready

Drew Ready Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update. Took the car back and the dealer is still saying the headlight, driving light, reverse light bulbs are burnt out (despite my having put in new headlight bulbs last night.) And repair cost is on us. So they replaced the inverter and all the bulbs just happen to die at that time. I doubt it. Anyone, have any idea whats going on here. Is this just a dealership trying to gouge us, (bulb replacement is being quoted at ~$300) or do can these bulbs really all go out all at once?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The bulbs should not go out all at once. It sounds like your dealer is trying to get out of fixing their mistake.

I took a look at the headlight connections in the electrical diagrams for our 2010 Prius and there is an Integration Relay, that I believe is mounted in the engine fusebox, and a Main Body ECU that are involved with the control of your lights. With all of the bulbs going at one time, and the fact that you have tried replacing fuses and bulbs, it sounds like they may have inadvertently damaged one of these two modules.

The difficult part will be proving this at their expense and not yours. Good luck.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another gen3 inverter failing below 100,000 miles.

Mine at 70k, this persons at 80k. Replacement was unheard of with the gen2.