1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights pointing almost straight down...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev1000000, May 29, 2006.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

So last night, i went to drive my gf home, and my headlights seemed really really dim. I noticed that they just shine a few feet head of me really bright. They aiming must be off right?

But how can that happen? I drove the night before with absolutley no problems. Can they just randomly lose their position? Will a re-aming solve all my problems? Can i do it myself? Or do i need the dealer?

Thanks for the help! =)

2. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kev1000000 @ May 29 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]262616[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have an 05 Pruis with HID headlights? That's what I have and I had the same problem you had. The headlight leveling sensor was defective in that it allowed moisture in which caused it to work erratically. On mine, I'd have to drive for a while before the lights came up to the righ position. Sometimes they stayed low for hours.

They replaced the sensor (which is behind the back left wheel). This made it work better, but I still felt the lights were too low. so I disconnected the sensor and manually set the height. 95% or more of the time I'm in the car alone without luggage, so I don't need auto-leveling.

To manually set the height of the lights, I disconnected the linkage from the sensor to the rear axel. Then I moved the sensor arm (you'll see what I mean when you look at the sensor) until the lights were pointing just below the windshields of other cars. Then I taped it in place. Not the most glamorous mod, but it has worked well for over 6 month.

When I took it to get inspected, the lights were exactly where they were suppoed to be. I think Prius lights are aimed lower than necessary. I was overdriving the low beams at 35 mph, even after the new sensor. Now the lights point down the road, straight out ahead, without blinding others as they are supposed to.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have HID headlamps, there is a leveling adjuster on the rear axle that sometimes fails. Depending on how it fails, your headlamps point up or down. The dealer should be able to check the continuity and output of the leveling sensor.

If you have halogen headlamps, I have no idea what's wrong.

4. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Yes, i have the HID headlamps.

Problem is, i JUST ran outside of my 35k warranty =(

How much is this sensor?

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no idea, but if you're handy, you can remove it and clean it out and it will probably work fine. It's just a rheostat with a lever arm.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That should be a 36k mile warranty not 35, so check the odometer again.

7. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Im at 37.9k =(

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so much for putting the package number on the proflie lol. a #9 = fully loaded.

Hmm, haven't seen you in a while Kev. How are the songs going?

Check the sensors and see what they fall under. If it's not powertrain, then you probably have to pay out of the pocket.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you're very close to the end of the warranty period. push them a little, they might cave in and cover it for someone who's barely out of warranty. always worth a try.

10. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]262697[/snapback]</div>
    I bought an extended warranty from Greenfield, MA Toyota for $900. It extended my warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles. Maybe it's not too late to extend yours too. With all the new technology and electonics on the Prius, the extended warranty seemed like a good idea.

11. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 30 2006, 02:58 AM) [snapback]262654[/snapback]</div>

Songs are going good. I just released a new one called "Pandora's Key." My gf reads a poem throughout the song, its pretty cool. I also redesigned the website. Let me know what you think.

Im going to take the Prius in tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they'll let me slide... =)

12. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Quick Update...

I took in the car today to get it fixed. The sensor cost's 325 bucks!!!!! Im out of my warranty, but just barely and i talked the dealer into paying half for me.

But i thought 325 bucks was very expensive for this sensor. Oh well, i hope it doesnt go bad again...

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ May 29 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]262621[/snapback]</div>
    This is a really bad idea because this sensor also affects VSC (hence why HIDs were only available with VSC). The car uses this sensor to determine if you're diving too quickly during an emergency stop, which translates to weight distribution and appropriate braking force at each wheel. By taping it in place, you lose this important safety aspect with VSC.

And before you state "VSC has never kicked in for me before...", it's when you least expect that you'll need it that it could be a determining factor in crash avoidance, etc.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Site looks great! I like "Progression"

wow.. yeah, 50% of the cost ain't bad. That's what we got when our A/C problem was borderline on the warranty expiration date on the Camry.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kev1000000 @ Jun 2 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]264753[/snapback]</div>
    $325 for a sensor v. $990 for an extended warranty. Let the debate begin (once again).

16. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

I would've loved to have bought the extended warranty, but i forgot about it :p

Tideland, thanks man! =)

17. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jun 2 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]264758[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I didn't realize that. I just looked online to find info about Prius VSC sensors. The attached note says VSC works by correcting under and oversteer. It shows the four sensors used to do this, but doesn't mention the HID leveling sensor as being part of the VSC system. Can you provide more info or a reference to more info that describes the HID and VSC link you mention above?

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 6 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]282013[/snapback]</div>
    I stand corrected - the 2004 NCF guide agrees as well. I made the incorrect assumption that since HIDs were *only* available with VSC, that the sensor was used for it. Serves me right for not re-checking docs first ;-).

It's also interesting to note that height is also determined by vehicle speed in addition to rear axle height.

Regardless of factual error in my previous post, I stand by my opinion that disconnecting the sensor is discourteous to other drivers should you be carrying a heavy load. It seems more worth while to use a scan tool to re-initialize the height, and have the default height re-adjusted with no load so they're no longer "too low". You get the adjustment you want, and the fuctionality that Toyota designed. By adjusting them "higher", you're increasing glare risk to oncoming traffic (and propigating some drivers reasons for HID hatred).

I couldn't find any info regarding US Laws w/ HID glare, however it seems in Europe, auto-leveling is required by law for anything > 2000 lumens. Also worth noting, Europe also requires headlight washers since dirty lenses increase glare. Also discovered that cars equipped with auto-leveling can maintain a higher static adjustment since cars w/o auto height adjust are usually statically adjusted to a lower angle in order to provide a margin of "safety" when going over bumps or carrying loads. By default you lose distance with "properly adjusted" headlights w/o auto adjustment if you're not glaring oncoming traffic.

Hope this helps.

19. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 6 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]282107[/snapback]</div>
    Rick, Thanks for getting back to me. I would definitely have reconnected the sensor if it was part of the VSC system. As you suggest, I may do it anyway. It was frustrating having the dealer tell me they were set right, when I couldn't safely drive over 35 mph at night. Forget about the freeway. When I reajusted them and took the car for inspection, the mechanic aimed the lights at a measuring board and said they were exactly right. When adjusting them, I made sure they were pointing lower than other cars windshields. I don't think my lights shine in people's eyes more than any other HID Prius (ie: it only happens when going over a hill, like any other HID car). Nevertheless, I'd rather have the system working as designed. Maybe I'll try another dealer. Thanks again, Frank