1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights Position 3 Auto Switch? Missing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scwolfe, Apr 13, 2005.

1. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Hi all,
    I just completed reading cover to cover, all of the manuals that come with the Prius. In the 2005 Owner's Manual, page 102, it describes a "Auto" headlight switch, position 3. I only have the described positions 1 & 2, does anyone have the position 3 on their headlight switch? I have Package #3, so I would have assumed I would have all options. I have not asked the dealer yet, but I will.
    Thanks, Steve

2. Prolene

Prolene New Member

I have wondered about Auto headlight myself. I read about it in the manual, and I have BC(#6) Option Package. I do not have Auto headlight in my Prius, and all option packages on Toyota's website make no mention of that option. Puzzling. Last year's option, or non North America, or...?

<Prius Option Packages>

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Short Answer - Yes, it's missing.

Long Answer - DRL (Daytime Running Lights) operate by running the bulb at reduced power. It's intent is to make you visible, not help you see.

HID Bulbs can not be run at reduced power, so without a second bulb you cannot use DRL on HID Vehicles.

The Prius does not have a second bulb.

So, for markets where HIDs are available, they had two options.

1) Put DRL on the Non-HID cars

2) Leave out DRL in that market.

They chose option 2.

The manual is wrong. What's surprising is that they haven't corrected it yet.

If you look up to the left on the front dash, you will see knockouts for two sensors, only one of which is occuppied. The empty one is where the DRL sensor would go.

Before you ask, No one has been able to figure out how to retro-fit DRL to cars that come without it.

4. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Tempus, thanks for your comprehensive answer. Glad I asked. Steve

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Automatic Headlights are standard in Canada but we don't get HIDs. Why auto-headlights can't be combined with HIDs is beyond me

6. Erick

Erick Member

I actually keep my headlights in the "ON" position all the time. When you open up the driver's door they automatically turn off. Is it bad to keep these on all the time? I figure it's safer to drive with them on during the day, especailly since I have a silver one.

7. addison1062

addison1062 New Member

I wouldn't want to retrofit Auto On/Off DLRs, but if it was possible, I would love to retrofit it as Auto On/Off for my normal lights like I used to have in my old car. That was cool feature.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I don't mind DRLs since I can see the oncoming cars more easily but keep in mind that most drivers are considerate enough to use their headlights in poor weather. Proof? Yesterday on the way home from university, it just started to rain heavily and hail was mixed in it too. It was heavy enough that I had to leave the rear wiper on "HI" to keep it clear which as you all know is almost unnecessary in most weather conditions. While at a light, I counted 10 cars. 9 with headlights on, 1 without (it was a Pathfinder).

9. Goughy

Goughy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A new California law effective from July 1, 2005 requires headlights whenever the wipers are in continuous use. See http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24400.htm for details.

This would be a useful automatic switch to have.

-Richard

10. Prolene

Prolene New Member

There is a difference between DRLs and HIDs, I believe. DRLs remain on all the time, until the regular headlights come on. The Auto feature would turn on the regular headlights when sufficient darkness is sensed. Having the HIDs on and off when going through tunnels, cloudy days, etc., might be a problem?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will it? Hmm, if so then what about the high-end cars with auto-headlights?

What would be nice is if Toyota snuck in the automatic wiper (since Toyota ones, I believe, also have a manual override unlike VWs and others) and have that linked to the auto-headlights. Now, of course that's just laziness on the driver's part since you should have your lights on anyway whenever visibility isn't ideal

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goughy\";p=\"80954)</div>
    That is also the law in my home state, Wisconsin and my current location, North Carolina. I think it is becoming pretty universal.

13. nevergetany

nevergetany Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius. I too keep my headlights in the "ON" position all the time. And here is where we need the relay timer to turn the lights off. On several occasions the wife gets out of the car and I stay and snooze....and forget to open the drivers door. Or pick her up from work, and while I am waiting, forget to open the drivers door. On more than 1 occasions I have wound up with a "dead battery and have to call roadside assistance to jump start me. There is probably a way to put in a relay, but I haven't found anyone yet that knows how to do it. I do not think keeping the lights on all the time is going to hurt anything, but it will lessen the life of the bulb.