1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights stay on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ITGuy1024, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my understanding is that the Gen II does not have a warning light that you have left your headlights on because they lights have an auto off after 30 seconds? Well one night in a rush I left my lights on for about an hour (they did not turn off) and I came out to a dead battery.

I guess my question is: Do I have a warning beep that is broke? Or is my auto off feature broke?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen II auto-off is not on a time delay. With the Gen II Prius, the headlamps stay on until the driver's door is opened. If you turn on the headlamps after opening the driver's door, or exit through another door, the headlamps will stay on until the battery expires.

Tom

3. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OP are you saying you powered the car down and the lights stayed on?

Or that you left the lights on and just had the car in park?

If you powered down the lights go off.

If you just had it in park they stay on.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note that the British Prius has different headlamps than the N.A. model.

Tom

5. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom, I'm not in England. Was what I said wrong? I have a 2009 and if I power down the car but leave the lights on, they do go off.

If I have it in park and leave them on then they will stay on unless I power down or turn them off.

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My mistake. Your profile shows England.

The OP lists his Prius as a 2006. The 2006 model does not behave in the manner you describe. Obviously the lamps remain lit if the Prius is left running, but they don't turn off when the Prius is powered down. They only go off when you manually turn them off, or open the driver's door.

Tom

7. kmc6566

kmc6566 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    England, Arkansas, Tom. People make that mistake all the time. No problem. I didn't realize there was a difference in the way the headlights worked between the 2006 and 2009. Sorry.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No reason to be sorry. I didn't realize there was a difference either, until I read your post. Do you have HID headlamps?

Tom

9. ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I power the car down, open the driver side door, and the lights do not go off.
    This actually happened to me on 2 occasions. The 2nd time my friend told me and I was able to go turn my lights off.

10. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are regional differences too. In Canada we have DRLs so we mostly have halogens and we can get the auto position that turns our headlights from drl to headlights when it gets dark enough. I don't think I've moved that switch in months. When I get start up the drls or headlights go on as required. When I shut down the car they go off when I open the door.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's not right. Something is fishy with your headlights.

Tom

12. ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any ideas on what it might be? Rather not take it to the dealer and pay 90 /hr for diagnostics.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your car is not under warranty, then of course the least costly approach is to live with the car the way it is, and turn off the headlight switch manually.

The body ECU is supposed to perform this automatic function. Figuring out why it is not doing this might be a labor-intensive project.

Do your interior cabin lights go on and off automatically, as you open and close the doors? If no, then the potentially simple answer is that the driver's door switch is bad, and its replacement would solve the problem.

If the door switch is working OK, then the body ECU itself may have a problem, and you'll have to consider whether it is worth paying several hundred $$$ to replace it.

14. ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The cabin lights all work perfect. Guess I can just live with it. Weird problem.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, just to be clear, the Canadian headlamp operation is more complex than posted above.
    When you get into the car when the ambient light level is high and put the car in "ready" (or "make the car ready" as many like to say) the DRLs will turn on -UNLESS- the parking brake is on. Then they won't go on until it is released.

If the ambient light level is low and the headlamp switch is in the "auto" position, then the headlamps and instrument lamps will go on when you put the car into "ready". The parking brake has no effect.

When you turn the car off the headlamps -may- go off or may stay on until you open the drivers door. I've seen them react both ways and haven't figured out why yet. BE WARNED! If you sit in the car after turning it off you can drain the battery. The halogen headlamps draw about 10 Amps on low beam and about 14 Amps on high beam. So after a few hours your battery could be in trouble.
    Just open and close the drivers door after turning the car off and you'll be fine.

16. ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This has no effect on my car, the lights stay on when the car is off. Period.

The dealer told me my was not "programed" with the option to turn my lights of after xx of seconds. And it would cost 45 bucks to program my car to do so.

I looked the service manager dead in the eyes and asked if he was shitting with me. Of course he said no, but I find it funny that the Cavalier I use to own at least buzzed when my lights were on. And this Prius doesn't even do that. More so it will cost me extra to have a basic function? Can someone confirm what the dealer is telling me? :mad:

17. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't know about "programmed".... mine was like that from the dealer. Always go off when I open the door if on when I shut it off. Haven't seen one that didn't work like that. As far as "programming" goes, it only takes a minute or so to do it. They shouldn't charge anything. My son backed into a post and kicked the rear crash sensor so that the airbag light was on........ they wanted to charge me an hour($87), tried a code reader but the only one that would do it was the one Toyota has. Finally agreed to pay them for it, as I told them I knew how long it took to do it, took it in, got it back in 10 minutes. They sheepishly said "Uh... no charge for that". Sometimes telling the dealer that you already know their tricks makes a difference.