1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights Turning on and off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jimmyg41, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jimmyg41

Jimmyg41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My sister recently bought a 2007 Prius Package 6 with HID's. Her headlights will turn on for about 2-3 minutes then one will go out and then both will go out. If you turn off the headlights and turn them back on then they will both turn on again but only for a few minutes. Any ideas as to what this can be? I figured it's not the bulbs since once they go out, they shouldn't come back on but I could be wrong. Thank you.

2. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    sounds like a short somewhere along the line...maybe a fuse that is ready to completely fail...

Jimmyg41 likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jimmyg41 likes this.
  4. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do not personally have HIDs...does it matter? I was just throwing out a couple ideas...maybe something failing along the way. I was thinking a fuse would be something quick to check/try. As you mentioned with wiring...maybe something is frayed somewhere. Again...just spitballing. I'll certainly defer to others with more expertise on the subject.

Jimmyg41 likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does. I do and I've personally experienced them being intermittent and had to replace one of mine. Even the class action notice found at Toyota Prius Class Action Lawsuit | Toyota Headlight Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP discusses the symptoms of them being intermittent.

I replaced one of mine around the time of can't remove washer fluid tank, trying to replace passenger side HID | PriusChat and bought my 06 new in January 06. Since the OP has an 07, it's not surprising that his HIDs are going out now.

Please also read Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat about failures. Also see http://priuschat.com/attachments/hid-bulbs-pdf.20792/ (prior to the settlement).

Jimmyg41 likes this.
  6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is usually the sign of the HID's reaching the end of their service life. Replacing them both as a set is a good bet and Priuschatters have had great luck with the Phillips (OEM) bulbs, which can be bought on Amazon for a song and dance (compared to what the dealers charge!!) of around $45/each.

Jimmyg41 likes this.
  7. Jimmyg41

Jimmyg41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I've ordered a pair of headlights for my sister to see if that resolves the problem. Looks like a lot of people are experiencing it! So far in my 04 Prius with HIDs, I have not had this issue. I should keep my fingers crossed!

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hopefully you ordered genuine Philips D4R bulbs from reputable resellers (e.g. Amazon and not a 3rd party reseller there).

As for your 04, it's not surprising. It seems the D2R system used in the 04-05 is a lot more reliable. See 04-05 (NOT 06-09) Prius owners w/HIDs - how long did they last? | PriusChat.