1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights went out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hatch96, Sep 26, 2009.

1. hatch96

hatch96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night I was driving home late, and my headlights just cut off, leaving me in pitch dark. I turned the headlight switch off, then on again, and fortunately the headlights came back on. I took the next exit and checked the headlights and they seemed to be working fine. (I have hid headlights which I generally leave on all the time.) I turned the fog lights on as a precaution. The headlights cut out one more time, but this time I was in a much more well lit part of the highway, and the headlights came right on again. The fog lights stayed on. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? thanks.

2. Mercamg

Mercamg New Member

=======================================================

This is a huge issue with the Gen II Prius with HID headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Association has en enormous number of complaints on this problem. Lights go off either one at a time or both together and come back on if you turn the lights off and back on again. The cost to fix is also enormous, between $300 and as high to $1,000. The problem is purported to be either a defective batch of bulbs, or the computer. Just for the 2006 model year Prius, NHTSA has 515 complaints related to this issue. If you realize that they only have 592 total complaints for the car, that's 87% of the complaints. Toyota needs to step up to the plate and issue this as a recall, since it's a serious safety issue. Until then, be careful at night.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Search is your friend. This topic has been extensively discussed on PriusChat. Take a look at this search for more information:

Google

Tom