1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usinchino, Apr 18, 2008.

1. usinchino

usinchino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does driving with the headlights on and using the Ac cut down on the life of the battery,I dont have the HID lights also which battery is used the 12 volt or the main one. Thanks

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, the headlights and A/C do not cut down the life of the battery. In fact you never need to worry about the life of the battery, unless you do something really stupid like driving after you run out of gas.

The headlights, radio, MFD, and other accessories run from the 12V system. The A/C compressor runs from the high voltage system. That said, the 12V system is also powered from the high voltage system through a DC to DC converter, so in normal operation the 12V battery is not used. The 12V battery is only used to boot the computers and provide accessory power when the high voltage system is off.

Tom

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't worry about the NiMH traction battery. The tiny 12 vdc battery, that may be another issue. For the vast majority of Prius drivers, the 12 vdc battery should be fine.

I had trouble the first winter with my Prius 12 vdc battery. Here are the conditions I think will set you up for problems: A bitter -40 winter, dark going to work and back home so headlights always on, constant electric rear defrost use, , and Max Heat due to not having the winter front installed

My 12 v battery became discharged to the point a couple of times in my heated condo parking, it booted strangely. I picked up a VDC Battery Minder, removed the battery, and hooked it up in my suite. I was scheduled to leave on a 6 week biz trip

Had to return after 3 weeks due to my Mom suddenly passing away. The battery had been charged and desulfated the entire time by the Battery Minder, and it performed with a day and night difference once back in the car

So I installed the VDC charge harness and got into the habit of always plugging in the car while parked in the underground parking. Now that I have a house again, I leave both my FJ and my Prius charging 24x7

As the A/C is run off the traction battery, that won't effect the 12 vdc battery. Don't think that it's somehow better for the Prius to run with the windows down on a +80 F day.

You can actually do more harm than good to the NiMH battery pack, which performs best and will last longest at a temp you are comfy at.

So set the climate control to whatever you are comfy at, and leave it at that