1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headphone mod for radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Hybridguy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

I have a question that I couldn't find the answer for in any other thread. What I want to do is the following: I want to be able to listen through the car's stereo on headphones. The reason being we are going on a longer trip and I want to be able to hear my Sirius Sat. radio (I have the integrated SiriusPrius mod) while the kids watch their movies in the back. Any idea if that can be accomplished? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. scrivener

scrivener New Member

3. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrivener @ Jul 7 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]282774[/snapback]</div>

Fine, I won't do it. But is it possible (hypothetically speaking, of course)?

4. Dr Why

Dr Why New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I want to be able to listen through the car's stereo on headphones.
    let's assume
    a. the law in Ca is not everywhere or
    b. the passenger(s) wishes to listen privatly or
    c. the sound is routed to a small set of speakers worn BELOW (not on) the ears or
    d. you wanted a tap into the system so you could tape(cassette) or rip(laptop>mp3) or
    e. any other legal reason I could not come up with in the last 5 minutes
    ^^^
    under the passenger seat is the JBL amp
    the wires: 3b(L)=black and 5b®=red and are shielded should supply the signal
    a small stereo headphone amp could be connected and its output & vol.control mounted
    where you wish. 12volt and ground are also present on the amp.
    Not having done this, I can't recommend the exact parts for the headphone amp
    maybe someone else knows the signal levels/impedence of those circuits.
    This is all assuming the (9 speaker) volume is controled within the JBL amp

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

When my wife and I listen to our music, the automatic reaction from the kids is to put headphones on either to watch a DVD or listen to their own music. No mods required.

Try it, it works!

:)

6. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the idea from Dr Why. As for us listening to our stuff and the kids listening to theirs without starting a major fight is not possible (at least not for us). I guess there's nothing wrong with hearing their favorite DVD's sound from the back seat 10 times in a row. Headphones for my 4 year olds are not an option, they will not wear them (we have tried over and over again). We have dealt with it on many trips like this. I just wanted to try something different.

It's usually me asking : Are we there yet?

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    California Vehicle Code Section 27400:

8. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 7 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]282831[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I got it. Thanks for all of your concern. I will not do it, I swear! This thread is officially terminated by me.

9. Dr Why

Dr Why New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybridguy @ Jul 8 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]282964[/snapback]</div>
    Don't give up yet.
    Kids won't wear the headphones huh?
    You can still access the speaker wires for the rear seat, a DPST switch and they're off.
    Now to insulate you from their noise, have a 1/4" plexiglass barrier installed between you and
    them. This IS NOT cruel you can still see them and can use the flash cards you give them
    (printed backwards - so you can read them in the mirror) for food & rest stops :lol: