1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headrest DVD players anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by yadax3, Sep 17, 2009.

1. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would probably be a lot cheaper to have a third-party overhead DVD player installed (or just buy a portable DVD player).

3. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks but I've already considered the portable players and I'm not sure I want to install an overhead unit since I have the solar roof. The headrest units also allow 2 people to play different movies or games. I'm still weighing the options.

4. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, that's expensive. I bought a portable for a couple of hundred dollars from Walmart to put in the airplane when we went to Alaska. Kids just put the screens in their lap, but they were made to mount on the headrest somehow or another, worked fine in their lap. With this one you it was actually two different units because you could play different movies, games etc, but they drew power from one plug. When we got back, I gave it to my daughter for her kids.

5. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to see what people recommed, I have bisque cloth and want to do headrests so I can have two separate DVD's or TV going.

6. jjlawyer

jjlawyer Junior Member

7. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got Pyle PL70HD installed last night i was surprised how easy it was got this for super cheap online ( i know the brand is not the best ) but i was shocked how good the screen and picture quality was. Feel free to PM me if you still want to install em' and need assistance.
    [​IMG]

ockevin likes this.
  8. Paul Singh

Paul Singh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are the headunits bluetooth enabled? My Priue Four, not IV as it is not a 2010, has the bluetooth and I can stream audio through my unit. Just wondering.

9. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Dvogel21

Dvogel21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you play multiple dvds and also watch the same movie?
    How is the back up camera that you installed?

11. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The headrest has video input so you can play the same movie on all 3 displays or play individual movies at the same time, back up camera is similar to factory. I remember reading a thread saying that the oem back up camera is made by Sony. It is very comparable w/ the pioneer one.

12. Dvogel21

Dvogel21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    how do you like the pioneer avic? is the sync button on the steering wheel still work with it? Is it an easy install? Does it use the same back up camera?

13. TonyCA

TonyCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had both the Eonon and Xtrons 9" dvd headrest from ebay. So far I'm pretty happy with them. If you get the HD (800x480 Pixel screes) they look fantastic. However if you do slave viewing from one head rest the slave video does not look as good. This is because the video signal is passed through composite, which is very low resolution. I'm not aware of any sets that have component input and output. The Xtrons slot loading touchscreen set looks a lot better on the slave, I think it has a better scaler then the older Eonon non touchscreen HD set I had. I think these are both clones of the Autotain ones (a little more expensive) actually they may even be manufactured by the same factories.

The set that are non slot loading and non touchscreen are a little bigger, and in the prius they looked big and out of place. The headrest for most of the 7" ones seem to be about the same size, so you get a smaller screen, but not much smaller of a headrest.

Here's a detail of a install I did.

DVD Headrest install - Club Lexus Forums

14. Dvogel21

Dvogel21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good stuff, so you prefer the Xtrons over the Eonon and the Pyle? I am just confused about the size, Do you prefer the 9" touchscreen Xtrons with the slot versus the 7" with flip open for a prius?

I thought you had the Pyle in your car from the pictures.

Also do you still have the Pioneer Avic and if so could i use the steering wheel controls with it?

Thanks for you help.

15. TonyCA

TonyCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe 06d has the Pyle. I've had the Eonon in my Prius, and now I have the Xtrons in my HS 250h. I'm not sure what size the Pyle 7" dvd headrest are. But if you look at the Eonon 7" zippered dvd players, the headrest is 11.41 inches wide. The Eonon 9" zippered are 11.81" wide. The Xtrons 9" slot load are 9.8" inches wide.

Now to confuse you more, there are actually system labeled as active headrest compatible. However I dont think they actually are. From what I understand the active headrest move the headrest up and out in an accident. Now these systems that do not replace the headrest, simply connect to the mounting posts of your current headrest. When you add something on the headrest you will increase the weight. So I dont know if you are limiting the effectiveness of the active system when you bolt on a dvd player and screen.