1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headrest Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tucwebb, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Tucwebb

Tucwebb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I just got my new Prius III (Barcelona Red with solar roof package) last night and love it EXCEPT . . . I drove to Phoenix to pick it up, and on the way home from Tucson I couldn't get comfortable because the headrest kept forcing my head forward in an awkward position! By the time I got home I had a burning, stinging sensation in the mid-upper area of my back immediately below my neck. Anyone have any ideas on how to reposition the headrest? Because of the time (my husband had to get back to go to work) we didn't have time to play around with it. BTW, I'm 5'1" (don't know if that makes a difference). Thanks all.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At 5'1" you shouldn't need a headrest. :p Sorry, I couldn't resist. It isn't often I find someone that makes me feel tall at 5'7". :D

Tom

3. Karen P

Karen P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drove my Prius for the first time yesterday and after two minutes my neck was killing me! I didn't notice it while test driving but so much was going on I probably wouldn't have. Anyway, my husband suggested reclining the seat just a tad which I did. It made little difference in my driving position but a big difference in neck comfort. I hope I don't have any more problems. Good luck.

4. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This whole headrest issue is always interesting to me. It seems that many cars have the headrests designed for people who's necks pitch forward, or who may have a curved spine that results in a hunchback.

I try to keep my posture erect, even when sitting, and find that headrests that force my head forward are at best irritating, and at worst painful.

Too bad that most car manufacturers don't make headrests where the forward angle can be adjusted.

I wonder if the headrests on the 2010 could be brought to an auto upholstery shop to be reshaped??

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that was a great suggestion by your husband.

I've also found that for myself, reclining any car seat a notch can often have the effect of providing the right lumbar support for my back.

6. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    If you dialed into your seat just right the headrest should not be an issue. Here is how to dial you into the drivers seat:

1. Put your foot on the brake and adjust your seat forward or back until you have a bend in the knee and can press hard on the brake pedal.

2. Pull the steering wheel all the way out and lock it in place. Put your right wrist over the steering wheel. It will pull your back away from the back of the seat. Adjust the back of the seat until your chest starts to move. If it starts to move, you have brought it up to far. You just want the back of the seat up comfortably. That should put a bend in each elbow.

3. Adjust the seat up and down until your eyes are down 1/3rd from the top of the glass. This one is the hardest thing to get right and one of the most important. Down 1/3rd on the glass will allow you to see pebbles in the road and signs overhead.

Now, that headrest should be no problem at all.

Dan

7 people like this.
  7. Tucwebb

Tucwebb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    Hey! No fair picking on us vertically challenged. ;)

8. Tucwebb

Tucwebb Junior Member

Model:
    III
    Car4Two - I had no idea there was a CORRECT way to position you seat! All these years and I thought you just kept adjusting until you were comfortable! Thank you so much for the lesson - I went right out to my car and did what you told me. I had the BEST ride to and from work today. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, if it turns out that the headrest is still too forward for you, one thing that people used to do with the Gen II for this problem was to reverse the headrest.

But I don't know if that's doable with the Gen III or whether it would affect the Gen III's active headrest feature.

2 people like this.
  10. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Say, I've got to try this (when my wife comes back with the car). Last night I checked my posture and noticed that I tend to slouch when driving. After making sure that my lower back was pressed against the seat, the seat actually felt more supportive and comfortable.

11. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm going to do this if possible if Car4two's adjustment method doesn't work. The forward push by the headrest is annoying and uncomfortable. I temporarily fixed it by putting the seat back a notch back or two.

The headrest reversal was possible on the Gen 2, but, it wouldn't latch in that position and would pop out in the event of a rollover or forceful collision -- just at the time you would want the headrest in position.

Lee:cool:

1 person likes this.