1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headroom

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by skierrob, Sep 13, 2023.

1. skierrob

skierrob Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't for the lift of me find a local dealer with a new Prime in stock. I've heard there is a significant reduction in headroom -- is that true? Appears from specs to be about 2" less headroom from my old 2019 Prime?
    If so, can you adjust the height of the passenger seat now or is it just like the 2019 with no height adjustment on the passenger side? My concern is my partner is 6'5, and he barely fit headroom wise into the 2019. If the headroom has been reduced, there is no way he will be able to sit in the new car which means I won't be able to get one which would not be good lol.
    For what it's worth, he also does not fit into the new Rav4 prime -- that sunroof they put in REALLY lowers the available space, and the passenger seat does not adjust on the Rav4 Prime. Is Toyota even thinking about tall people anymore?

#1 skierrob, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  2. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The passenger side seat height can be adjusted. Spec says headroom is 1.4 inches less, not sure if the height-adjustable seat improves it for the passenger. They'll be tight, definitely want to sit in one before buying.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Definitely sit in one before ordering, it may take some time before you get the chance, but it’s one of the reasons I took a hard pass

4. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just sat in an amazingly beautiful prime yesterday — to my great disappointment.

The reduction in headroom makes it impossible for me to upgrade from my 2016. I am a long-wasted 6-2 but fit fine in last two generations.

Headroom would have been fine (in part because I love the car) if it were not for the divider between the front and back glass roofs. Front was OK below the glass even with the sunshade pulled closed, but the hard divider was a killer. Even with the seat raked at big angle.

Might be for the best though — If my head didn’t scrape, I would have convinced myself that the added difficulty of climbing in was just a matter of muscle memory and form. I would have found a way on that, but it would likely have been impossible for me to take my 92 year old mom out to lunch.

The good news: The $5000 market adjustment sign on the window (Bernardi, Framingham, MA) didn’t bother me one bit since that will not be my dilemma.

#4 ATHiker, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the glass roof does indeed have lower headroom - certainly than the ordinary roof, and I think versus the solar too.

The glass roof isn't compulsory on any US trim, afaict. It's not available on any trim in Finland - I would have wanted to avoid it for the lower headroom too. Wouldn't mind the solar though, just for the looks.

6. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Any specs on the headroom difference between glass roof and not?

To my quick evaluation, the glass seemed close to flush with the outside of the roof (a good thing and the sunshade was soft and flexible and did not intrude too badly.

The structural element between the front and back roofs was the issue.

I had assumed that it was more for rigidity than simply to enclose the shade — and that the version without the sun roof would be very similar.

Am I wrong?

Is there hope after all?

7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Tons of people 6'3-6'5 fitting comfortably in the G5. There's even a guy who's 6'8 that said he fits.

It's tighter than the G4, but reclining the seat a notch allows for very big bodies to fit nicely.

8. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    At 6'2 you fit fine. You must have not had your seat adjusted properly.

I'm 6'4 in shoes, long waisted also, and I fit perfectly with a couple inches of headroom to spare.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having a lot full of vehicles, with and without sunroof, and fixed-height front passenger seat, was a big help for us, shopping for our 2010. At least for 3rd gen, sunroof reduced headroom a lot, I'd say close to 2".

If you're trying to judge with adjustable seats, and have the luxury of with/without cars on the lot, maybe crank the seat down (or up) as much as possible, in both cases, and see if you can judge the difference.

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Not seen any concrete numbers, sorry.

And that's built somewhat differently if you don't have the glass roof - that beam has to substitute for a lot of metal that was replaced by glass. And include the shade.

ATHiker likes this.
  11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Perhaps I sat in the McLaren by mistake.

Not optimistic at all, but I may try again.

Preebee likes this.
  12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Coming from a G4, I was shocked by the cabin change on my first sit. This is natural. It was the beauty that brought me back for a second visit. At that time, I already noticed the shock had lessened. Then I had the breakthrough. I reclined the seat a notch and it was like everything came into harmony. Plenty of room.

Fast-forward 3.5 mos and I'm so happy and comfortable, I can't imagine why I was ever in doubt. It's scary to think I almost passed on this purchase. It's truly an engineering marvel.

Now... if I ever climb into a G4 again, I'm sure it will feel like I'm riding in a hay wagon. :LOL:

13. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The 2023 will also leave you with a thinner wallet than prior models, lowering your butt, so that should help a bit with the headroom.

Gwyd, Tom_06, jeremnyc and 3 others like this.
  14. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    [QUOTE="Preebee, post: 3387418,
    Fast-forward 3.5 mos and I'm so happy and comfortable, I can't imagine why ….[/QUOTE]

Whether or not I have a similar epiphany when I go back, posts like yours is what have made PriusChat among the very best communities of its type.

Sincere thanks!

Preebee likes this.
  15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It actually is required on the highest trim level--the Limited.

16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Doh. I was thinking you could replace it with the solar roof, but forgot you had non-plugins.

17. Tooly

Tooly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm 6'4" and fit both driver and passenger side with no issues. Never tried to sit in the back since, well, I never sit in the back. Because the seat can be lowered on the passenger side, I actually have more headroom there then in my 5th gen 4Runner passenger side (seat can't be lowered).

Preebee, Sedril and bisco like this.
  18. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Well, here in Canada, it seems the Prime comes with the glass roof in XSE and XSE Premium. There's one coming in with my name on it in the next week or so, so I'll be checking out headroom closely. I fit fine in wifey's XLE-AWD (no glass roof). It's actually going to be a close decision as I'm about 50/50 on trading up or keeping my 22 Prime.

Preebee and bisco like this.
  19. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How many notches reclined for the 6’8”?

Preebee likes this.
  20. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Front Seat Sitting Height? | PriusChat

Here's the 6'8 dude's original post. He fit with an inch to spare in an XLE (no glass top).