1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heads Up for Canadians importing from US

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ebsmythe, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I imported my Prius in late November, 2007 the requirement of US Customs was for them to receive the documents at least 72 hours before arrival with the car to clear Customs. The method which worked well for me and countless others was to fax the documents to Lewiston Border Customs (716 282 2414) 72 hours in advance, and then arrive with the original documents in hand.

My wife liked my Prius so much that she is selling her present 2006 HCH and I have found her a good 2007 Prius in Indiana.

I asked the dealer there to fax the documents as before and he told me that the fax was not accepted. Upon calling the US Customs at Lewiston, I was told that the documents, notarized, certified copies, now had to be delivered personally to their office at the delivery address as follows:

US Customs Automobile Export
    1 Lewiston Queenston Bridge, Suite 1
    Lewiston NY 14092

I clarified that a courier would be acceptable for this personal delivery and have made these arrangements. I have asked that the courier receive a signature on delivery.

The faxing was so much easier. I wonder if pressure is being applied to try and slow down the rate of imports to Canada.

Just when I thought I knew the game, they changed the rules!

Barry

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This might be border specific so check with your local border/custom agents before importing.

3. fish_antlers

fish_antlers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

I've heard rumours that dealerships in the States are being told not to sell to Canadians. No substantiation, though. (My parents just bought a CR-V... $35k... ouch.)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the equivalent model is in the mid US$20k

6. Yury

Yury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, overall how much did you pay for your Prius?

7. BigJay

BigJay reh reh REH reh Torture them!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has to be less than any Canadian dealership due to higher taxes, but lower than what we would normally pay because the loon is more valuable than our dollar now.

I'm curious as well, how much?

8. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2007 Package 5 Prius (the works except for leather, including HID lights not available in Canada.

Cost from Indiana dealer $23,117 (15,163 mi)incl new snow tires, mats

Hotel and meals overnight $ 150

Air Fare to South Bend $359

Gas to Ontario $80

Border Costs
    Govt import Fee $206
    Air Cond Tax $100
    Import Duty 6.1% $1410
    GST $1231

Daytime Running Lights $80

Total $26,733

PST of $1,849 was rebated in full and not included above

In Ontario, low mileage 2007 Prius with Nav etc (very hard to find in Canada) will sell for $32,000 plus GST of approx $1600 or $33,600

Saving was approx $7000

9. Yury

Yury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    thanks a lot.

i am a little confused about the PST rebate - this is the Ontario rebate for Prius, correct ?

also, where did you get the DRL done? someone in another topic suggested allowance of 500$ for that and you got it for 80$ :)

10. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anybody buying a car in Ontario must pay a federal tax, called GST of 5% plus a provincial tax of 8%. As an incentive for economical vehicles, the provincial government gives a rebate of up to $2000 or the actual PST whichever is less.

Only a few vehicles qualify for the $2000 rebate, the Prius being one of them.

Vehicles Powered by Alternative Fuels

I had the DRLs installed at Canadian Tire

I stand to be corrected on the DRL installation. The $80 charge was not for DRLs but was for the required Provincial Safety Standard Inspection. I should have added that to the costs.

The DRL cost was $119.69 installed including 13% taxes, of which $24.99 was the actual cost of the DRL kit which they sell in the store.

11. jnmontario

jnmontario Junior Member

Great thread on RedFlagDeals about importing vehicles.

Auto - WOW ---- New cars from US up to 30% cheaper (cost to import under $200) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums (VERY long to warn you, 12,000+ posts and 1.5 million view) but VERY good info in there about bringing US vehicles into Canada. I'm bringing my first US vehicle into Canada (2007 Prius - my first one now that highway mileage is as good as city mileage...yay!)

also Main Page - Carburner great resource for importing ANY car into canada.

12. Yury

Yury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ok, understood, thanks. i was a little suprised that the PST rebate applies to used cars as well. this is great, actually.

13. Yury

Yury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could someone clarify this - if I buy a used Prius in Ontario privately, is there a RST rebate? i.e. will it mean that i basically pay no taxes?

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Federal rebates only apply to new cars. It's assumed the rebate has already been paid when the car was sold new. If you're talking of the Ontario Govt. rebate, check with them to be sure, but I'd suspect the above applies as well.