1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headunit freezes when playing MP3 from USB thumbdrive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JGI, Nov 17, 2014.

1. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, I was wondering if this is a common issue. I have a 2014 Prius Three with basic stereo (non-JBL). I'm trying to use a 64GB USB thumbdrive with about 5,000 mp3's grouped into different folders. Each folder has about 200 songs. Any song I play, doesn't matter which one, the headunit just stops playing on the middle of each song. Has anyone encountered this, and what can I do to resolve this?

Prior to getting the 64GB stick, I've been using an old 16GB stick with about 2,000 songs with no issues.

thanks for the feedback

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll check for a thread I posted, but it's possible (1) your USB drive is TOO BIG (some devices have a max cap on GB storage a device can have, but I presume you checked this before you decided to use it) or (2) your make/model of USB drive isn't very good/incompatible....odd, but it happens.

I'm using a 32 GB drive with no problems. I'm not sure if 32 GB is the max size the system will work with or just what I chose to go with.

Also, did you format the drive before using it? Sounds silly, but I've had devices not play nice unless you format them first. Something about the "factory fresh" state doesn't always play nice even though your PC has no issues.

Organizing MP3s on a Flash Drive | PriusChat

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What class card is it? It's possible that the data transfer isn't fast enough. But it's probably that the head unit can't handle a 64GB card.

SCH-I535

4. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a 64GB PNY thumbdrive. I went to the store and bought a new Patriot 32GB USB 3.0 stick and it's still freezing. For now I think I'll stick with my old 16GB PNY that works fine.

Is it possible that the headunit is just not done "indexing" the files? Because I seem to remember having the same issue on the 16GB stick when I first got it, but after a couple of freeze ups, it worked flawlessly. Maybe I should just give it more time?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That could be the problem, that's a lot of files to index.

SCH-I535

6. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm seeing the same thing on a 64GB stick with approximately 8,000 songs. There's supposedly a hard stop at 10K songs, so I started trimming songs from the drive.

It might be worth running Scandisk from a windows machine to see if the file system on the thumb drive is OK.