1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Health of my main (high voltage) battery ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So my car is a 2019 LE, which has 48K miles on it... mostly in the first 9 months that I owned it... Then, after the virus thing, it sat a LOT ! So now I'm doing rideshare again, and once again, its getting a LOT of miles put on it.
    Now, I don't know if its just in my head, but when setting around, not driving, and running the AC, it seems to stay running a lot longer, when it does cycle on ? Yes, I'm running the AC on VERY HOT Sacramento Summer days, but I did that a year ago too, and it did not seem to stay running for my than 90 second to 2 minutes, where now it feels like it needs to run twice as long ? It does seem to go close to as long as it used to, before it cycles on though. Hmmm.
    Surely their is a way to test our main battery ? Is there an onboard test for this ?

PS, I asked about this when I first got the car, and to the best of my memory, nobody felt their was too much of a problem, sitting in place, with the AC running on 100+F days ? My buddy (with the same car as me) was saying he doesn't like to do this, as he thinks its not good for the car.... but he's never actually had any problems from this himself....

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not even sure that running longer during the recharge part of the cycle isn't a good thing. :)

I don't feel there's too much of a problem, running the AC in place on 100+F days. Does it put some wear on the car? Ok.

Not doing it would be like owning nice furniture, and keeping plastic sheets over it, and not sitting there.

alanclarkeau and Tande like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v might be weak from sitting

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds perfectly normal - just enjoy your car, and all the features. It'll last almost forever.

5. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well, if that's the case, I can promise you I'm going to make a different than stock battery fit ! Those factory Prius batteries are rediculous !

bisco likes this.
  6. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hey Allen, my buddy (the most hard core Uber driver I've ever met ! Must be nice to be in your 30's)
    Has the exact same Prius that I have, a 2019 LE with 147,000 miles on it ! He's never done anything to it, besides tires and oil changes ! Sounds totally fine running beside mine, with 48K on it. Certainly reassuring for me ,

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 12v just had it's 5¼year old birthday - and going fine. I'm retired, and did a lot less driving in lockdown than previously.

Not sure that I'd stray away from TOYOTA's 12v, or similar - yes expensive, but I'd expect they've chosen a flooded cell battery for a good reason.