1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hear the word 'president' and grit your teeth

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jul 14, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/p...n/?id=110010326
    American Grit
    PEGGY NOONAN

I found myself Thursday watching President Bush's news conference and thinking about what it is about him, real or perceived, that makes people who used to smile at the mention of his name now grit their teeth.

I'm not referring to what used to be called Bush Derangement Syndrome. That phrase suggested that to passionately dislike the president was to be somewhat unhinged. No one thinks that anymore. I received an email before the news conference from as rock-ribbed a Republican as you can find, a Georgia woman (middle-aged, entrepreneurial) who'd previously supported him. She said she'd had it. "I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth." I was startled by her vehemence only because she is, as I said, rock-ribbed. Her email reminded me of another, one a friend received some months ago: "I took the W off my car today,"

[MJ Here: I TOLD you those "W"s were disappearing faster than the eye could see!] [Now back to the article...]

With Mr. Bush it is the people who are forced to be cool-eyed and realistic. He's the one who goes off on the toots. This is extremely irritating, and also unnatural. Actually it's weird.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why don't you make this into a simple yes/no poll?

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course, in such a poll the "no" option wouldn't be needed.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My favorite part of the article had to be the part where she went on about how we don't choose the guy we think will do the most good as President, but rather the guy who we think will screw it up the least.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 16 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]479545[/snapback]</div>
    This seems to be a true statement, thats hoew I voted in the past two elections.. ;)

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 16 2007, 06:18 AM) [snapback]479545[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jul 16 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]479608[/snapback]</div>
    At last! Something that ALL can agree on politically! We may not agree as to who that is, or even how bad the various politicians have or haven't screwed the pooch, but we all hold our noses and vote for the least unpalatable candidate!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One of the best comparisons I've ever heard about the Presidency compared it to steering a cruise ship.

What they said was that the United States was this huge cruise ship out in the ocean moving along. The President gets to steer for a while making little changes now and again.

Unfortunately, in this case I'm beginning to wonder if the captain isn't steering directly at the icebergs. Yee-Haw!!

One of the best comparisons I've ever heard about the Presidency compared it to steering a cruise ship.

What they said was that the United States was this huge cruise ship out in the ocean moving along. The President gets to steer for a while making little changes now and again.

Unfortunately, in this case I'm beginning to wonder if the captain isn't steering directly at the icebergs. Yee-Haw!!

8. FiftyOneMPG

FiftyOneMPG New Member

I think I hear an echo. :D

Do we want the president to steer the ship, or do we just want to let the results of a cnn/time poll do the steering. We could hook up a computer to rotate the wheel based on the latest poll results and not bother having the expense of a president.

Or.. just elect hillary..

nah.. let's go for the computer system, I don't mind hearing about the computer, and to see the computer flash by on a tv segment won't burn my eyes like hillary does. :)

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div align="center">[​IMG]
    Good morning, Saddam.
    I know you are trying to amass weapons of mass destruction.
    I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that.
    </div>

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    LOL Tony... i was thinking practically the same thing!

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Peggy Noonan is wrong when she says, "Americans can't fire the president right now". We can.

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, yes and no... We really can't right now. Congress could start hearings and what not, and after it drags on for two years finally come to a decision... oh wait, he'll be gone by then anyways...

13. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jul 16 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]479777[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 17 2007, 06:21 AM) [snapback]480187[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with eagle33199 on this one, and this is something that I get a bit steamed up about. Bush is GONE, people. Not only is he gone, but he has butchered any chance of a Republican getting elected next term.

Now, here are the four elephants in the room: Scalia, Thomas, Aleto, and Roberts. They are appointed FOR LIFE. If the liberal grass roots want to get behind a long term impeachment project, why not target someone who will be there long enough for a campaign to be useful? Remember, Justice Stevens is 80 years old. One more justice and Kennedey will be sidelined. What happens to us then?

We must take the White House (which seems likely) and be effective while we hold the presidency. Simply holding it for 8 years is not enough. We need the next Justice, or the conservative agenda will take generations to undo.

Rather than working to impeach the lamest (29% approval) duck in the last 29 years, why not start an impeach Scalia campaign?

14. FiftyOneMPG

FiftyOneMPG New Member

At the rate the dems are going, I think we can get a new republican president, the house and senate in 2008.

We're not quite there yet, but the dems are trying really hard to pi$$ off the voting public and I think by 2008, they will have done it.

Sweet!! :lol:

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want some of what you're smokin.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FiftyOneMPG @ Jul 17 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]480323[/snapback]</div>
    The new name for the Bush Administration is "dems"? You learn something every day!

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]480338[/snapback]</div>

Typo. I believe it's "dims".

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

It's not an issue of 'firing' him or not. It's an issue of doing what's right and starting the process. Give him and his lawyers something to do. Show the rest of the world that we recognize he is out of control. Intent, not outcome is what we're after.

19. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 17 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]480403[/snapback]</div>
    I can't get behind that. I've gotten to the point where what I care about is results. I want mud slinging, smear-tacitc using, catch phrase and sound bite politcs from my party. I want false reports to the media that my campaign office was bugged. I want vote-rigging, re-districting, Project K Street type dirty pool. I am sick and tired of being beaten in the elections because the Republican machine understands the average short-attention span middle america voter better than we do.

I mean John Kerry? What was THAT about?

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Democrats won't take it.

Republicans=everything that's Republican
    Democrats=everything that's not Republican

Republicans are lots more focused.

They're *for* something (it may be misguided, but they're *for* it anyway).

It's sad, but it's true; their exclusionary tactics work well and are difficult to counter when the electorate has an attention span just slightly longer than the duration of a pod of TV commercials.

I hate to say it, but it *is* time to stoop to their level, slow down the madness, then mop up the damage and attempt to get back to where we were in the late 1970's. Bush did indeed stack the Supreme Court, and that's probably going to be the conservative gift that keeps on giving.