1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heat or A/C?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by p1cfl01, Oct 27, 2008.

1. p1cfl01

p1cfl01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

When wanting to turn on heat, do I use the A/C control or the AUTO control without turning on A/C?

Both can be used and heat will come out, but not sure which one is best for the car.

Thanks

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Either way will work. There is no one way that is best for the car. I just set ac auto on some comfortable setting, and let it do its thing. In the early morning on a cold start, I may switch it off until the engine builds enough heat normally. Having a high heat setting will run the engine more if its cold to create the heat. The main thing is, make yourself comfortable, the car will figure the rest out. If you just want ambient outside air, go to the climate screen, switch AC off, and select the fan speed and temp you want (I use LO for most California mornings). Its all pretty much the same, regardless, depending on your temp setting. It sounds more comfusing than it really is.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use auto A/C year round with the AC selected. The compressor is electrically driven and will only come on when necessary. It also keeps the windows from fogging. Just use the temperature control to set your comfort level and let the auto system work as designed.

4. p1cfl01

p1cfl01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's what I thought, just want to make sure I'm not burning out the A/C to run heat....

Thanks all..

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that in the Prius "A/C" really does mean "air conditioning" and not "air cooling". If you turn on AUTO it decides which outlets to open and how fast to run the fan; all you need do is set the temperature. Beyond that you can manually set/override as few or as many things as you like.