1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heat slow to warm up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by michaud85, Jan 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. michaud85

michaud85 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Early last year I swapped gen 4 motor into the 2010 Prius. Everything worked great, till I had a coolant leak and the coolant ran very low, not sure how long this happened for or how hot the motor got when it happened. Found the leak Refilled coolant and the car has been driving without engine power performance issues for about 6 to 8k miles. So no harm no foul there(maybe, still doesn’t feel nice).

when I first swapped the motor I remember the heat would warm up in about 5 to 6 minutes idling in the driveway. Well fast forward and since the beginning of the winter the heat takes sooooooo long to warm up, like it doesn’t get warm till I drove ten minutes to the highway and spent 5 minutes on the highway type of long. During the first few miles of each time driving the engine won’t stay idling when coming to a stop, and in addition the heat has a noticeable drop in temperature once youre off the highway.

im no expert, but I suspect the thermostat is stuck shut or is sticky and that is causing the motor to think it is nice and toasty so it stops the car from idling to warm up the rest of the coolant outside of the block?

gen 4 engine has about 52k miles on it. There’s no white smoke or anything crazy, oil is clean. No lights or error displays. Electronic air vents seem to switch fine from head to feet and defrost.

Thank you very much for your time.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Slow warmup is more of a thermostat-stuck-open thing than a thermostat-stuck-closed thing, but either way, you'd be able to test it by taking the thermostat out and watching what it does in some hot water on the stove with a thermometer.

ASRDogman likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want the engine to stay running at idle, put it into "B" mode.
    It will use the engine to slow down, without running, then will start when the car stops...

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure my results do vary.