1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heater resistor in HV battery vent. VS custom extra fan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LukUsc, Jun 1, 2020.

1. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    During the battery repair, as an addition, I wanted to add a fan with the option of manual activation. I thought about placing it in the outlet of the HV battery ventilation duct (so that it would extract heat from the battery compartment at low speed in summer).
    However, I see that there is also such a wonder as Heater resistor 499300-2121.
    The question is, if an additional fan working near this resistor could disrupt the OEM operation of the HV fan system?
    Can a light air circulation that cools down or warms up the resistor a bit and causes a mess and the factory fan will not turn on when it is really needed?

I know that you can activate the fan with Hybrid Assistance or Torque, but the fact that applications must be constantly active is not convenient for me. :) Image%20(1).jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a thread here by a retired mech who souped up his battery ventilation if you can find it. claimed it would extend life by keeping the interior modules cooler.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid fan always runs its a pwm fan and it runs slow all the time to consistently move air. If high heat is detected it will speed up.
    If hybrid battery is failing it will run at full speed and you can clearly hear it from the front seat.

But cooler the better its only getting hotter and hotter. I use a weather tech custom insulated windshield shade and extend the rear hatch package cover and put a foil covered piece of insulation foam cut to the fit that area on top of that fabric cover to keep the sun off that back battery area. between that and the window shade and real good tint job it keeps the car very cool.
    Or as cool as it can in Florida. It works.

I have only heard the hybrid fan come on once in 13 years of ownership from forgetting the sun shade on the top of a parking garage all
    day..

4. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know, that the fan works all the time.
    I thought I would be smarter than Toyota :)
    However, I have the impression that the CPU fan may be quieter than the OEM with increased speed.
    We'll see what comes out in the tests.

bisco likes this.
  5. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered Alie "kilometer" foam with aluminum insulation... if it doesn't help bacteria then at least there will be a thermos for a beer crate in the trunk :D

6. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By the way - changing the location of temperature sensors to modules closer to the center actually gives something, whether it is an unconfirmed YT theory?