1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heating solutions

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by maggieddd, Feb 4, 2007.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 5 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]385579[/snapback]</div>
    My father in law lives on the first floor. It's heated and he pays his own bill. Second floor is unoccupied and I am not heating it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 5 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]385579[/snapback]</div>
    There is no attic

The windows are not single pane.
    The furnice is 3 years old.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 5 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]385574[/snapback]</div>
    I was told that you really should ask a professional to do it for you and not to do it yourself as it will look crappy

I am thinking of completly shutting the heat during the day, but I'm not sure what to do about the kitty. Get him a small heater?

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I am trying to cut down on energy use but it seems impossible.
    Let me give you an overview of the situation.
    I have an apartment on a 3rd floor that was completely remodeled. It is in an old triple decker house. It is about 700 sq feet (not sure exactly). The ceilings are very high (cathedral). We have 3 skylights in the living room, 1 in the dining room and 1 in the bedroom. We have central heating system (gas) that pushes hot air.
    For such a small apartment our heating bill is extremely high. I can't change the heating system. We keep the temp at 67 degrees when we are at home and 63 degrees at night and when we are not around. I can't take temps lower than that. Is there anything I can do to cut down on energy use?

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 5 2007, 06:21 AM) [snapback]385489[/snapback]</div>
    Electric or gas heating?

Cheapest solution: a small room fan might be able to set up a current of air to push the hot air gathered in the high ceiling down if you position it next to a wall, aiming it up. Turn it on and wait at least 20 minutes to see if it pushes the air up along that wall and down the opposite wall. It may be that you are getting your heat trapped up in the top of the room with the cathedral ceilings.

The other option is if you have ceiling lights up in those cathedral ceilings. If you do, you might consider installing a ceiling fan that will push the hot air down.

Short of insulating the ceiling, which you probably can't do since you are renting, you may be able to do something with the windows. Light a match near a window when the heater isn't blowing air around, blow it out and use the smoke trail to see if you are getting any migration of air out around the windows (moving the smoking match head around the perimeter of the window will show any air leakage as the smoke follows it into the crack around the window). You can buy "temporary storm windows" that are a heat shrink film; you tack it up over the window and then use a hair dryer to shrink it to a tight fit.

Hot air rises, so I suspect its going up and being trapped, OR its being lost through the ceiling, OR its being lost through the windows.

4. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 5 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]385489[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you keep the heat at 63 when you are out of the apartment? Do you have pets that cannot tolerate the cold?

If not I suggest turn the thermostat down to its lowest setting (usually 45 degrees or so). Sure your apartment will be cold when you arrive home but it should not take too long to get back to a comfortable temperature. This should save you a significant amount on your bill.

For nighttime you might be able to use an electric blanket and turn the heat down a few more degrees.

Rick
    #4 2006

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 5 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]385490[/snapback]</div>
    thanks fshagan.
    Gas heating.
    I am not renting. I own the house.
    I was wondering about those windows films that you install to retain heat in and they also block UV rays so less cooling in the summer time. I need to get an opinion on that.
    I tried the fan solution already. It seemed to work but I would have to setup fans all over the house as one only does a small section.
    I'll try with a match tonight.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, I'd definately start with weather sealing around all the windows. I don't know if it's cosmetically or practially an option to try some of that heat shrink stuff around those sky lights...it certainly sounds like those are a major source of heat loss for you.

Do you have access to the air filter for your heating system? If so be sure to replace that to improve air flow.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 5 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]385493[/snapback]</div>
    actually I do have a cat and he had a running nose this morning :)

8. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 5 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]385489[/snapback]</div>
    You haven't said whether the house is properly insulated - e.g. are the skylights and windows double-glazed? Is there plenty insulation in the roof? Is there any draught-proofing? Do you cover the windows with heavy curtaining (you call them drapes?) at night?

If there is none of these the cost of installing them might well exceed the cost of the heating in the short term, but it would probably be economic if you'll be there for many years to come.

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]385495[/snapback]</div>
    We do keep an eye on the filter so that's not a prob.
    So what can I do about the skylights? These are the skylights I have Velux

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 5 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]385499[/snapback]</div>
    We had a brand new roof installed this summer and it was properly insulated. I can't really climb on the roof to check but that's what I was told.
    I am not sure about the walls. From what I remember my husband said that he put extra insulation on the walls when the house was remodeled. I would have to check with him exactly later on.

How about solar panels for me? :)

10. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 5 2007, 07:21 AM) [snapback]385489[/snapback]</div>

They make a bottle of fine dust used as "smoke" to look for air infiltration. Can get at HVAC or some hardware stores. Certainly on the web. This is #1 heat loss.

Stuff insulation in your skylights when it's cold.

Hang lots of decorative rugs.

Keep your air filter clean.

Vent your drier into the apartment.

Don't vent your cooking.

Keep south facing window blinds open when it's sunny, closed when not.

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I just read on my gas suppliers website that I can choose a gas supplier. I know it won't help with my heat loss but maybe it can help my wallet.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Feb 5 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]385506[/snapback]</div>
    I got to find that dust to find air infiltration
    The dryer is in the basement
    if I don't vent my cooking the fire alarm goes off

13. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 5 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]385520[/snapback]</div>
    A match or cheap candle will let you do the same thing, just be careful around curtains. In my apartment living experience, the window film is well worth it, also check to see if there's a flue open if you have a fireplace, a door with missing or damaged weatherstrip etc.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 5 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]385536[/snapback]</div>
    thanks.
    Actually, one of the problems I think is that we don't have the door jams (or is that called trims?) installed yet so we have duck tape around the doors. None of the doors really face outdoors but there are two to the hallway and the hallways is not heated.

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Consider if "your" heat is being misdirected to a lower apartment vent. I once knew of a landlord who purposely did this.

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 5 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]385548[/snapback]</div>
    No, this is not the case. I own the whole house, BTW

17. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suggest you get a natural gas vent free fireplace. If you already have a fireplace you can get a nice log set for $300. There are likely to be some clearance deals right now too. If you or a friend can do the gas line the whole thing could be done for less than $500. You get one room where you are actually very warm and the excess heat spreads to the other rooms and should keep the main heat from coming on. I did this in a 1960's ranch house and my winter heat bill went from $275ish to $180-200 ish but the big difference was that I was actually warm and saving money. The family room we installed it could in the eighties and we were still saving money. There is a nice tax credit for vent free gas fireplaces too, $300 I think. If you have to pay to do the gas line it could cost an extra thousand or so, get mulitple quotes.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, I would strongly advise you not to wander about the house with an open flame. You could be very warm in a hurry, and not in a good way. I've got an 'old triple decker' too, and air infiltration is definitely a problem. A moistened finger will tell you where the leaks are, and can also tell you if air is flowing into or out of a room. Stuffing insulation in the cracks will only filter the incoming air - all cracks and holes should be filled with caulking or expanding foam. Heat shrink film on the windows can be quite effective. For an old draughty house, it's not the R value that matters as much as blocking the incoming air.

If the roof was insulated, did the workers also insulate the backside of the boxes for the skylights?

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...switch to/supplement with a good electric heater unit (heck trying building a solar powered one)...

gas prices suck in NE, I know, gas bill for my house in Dracut was usually around $500/mo. with somewhat judicious use...

...OR, try a kerosene "woodstove" if it's practical/economical for your situation...

20. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how about raising the rent for the other units?