1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heavy Creaking Going over bumps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert Evans, May 27, 2020.

1. Robert Evans

Robert Evans New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've recently noticed some heavy creaking sounds when going over bumps (like speedbumps, or heavily graded hills)

As a preface, I really don't know much about cars at all, but I'm trying to get comfortable working on my own vehicles.

I took some pictures of the shocks, and it looks like a boot is torn. It also looks pretty rusty, which is something that could be playing into it? Any advice is helpful!

IMG_20200527_125620.jpg IMG_20200527_125547.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?

have you ever done any suspension work?

3. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is a 2006 with 220k miles. I recently replaced the entire suspension for the second time, having done this when the car had ~110k miles. I R&R all corners: struts, mounts, even springs. I was a little surprised that I didn't notice much difference in the ride, even when replacing the springs in this second job.
    I still have creaking when car shifts when getting in/out. I believe my issue may be the rubber mounts within the subframe, which have never been replaced. I will need to examine these. Also, I'm replacing the sway bar link bushings as well for the second time in the life of the car.
    I mention all this in case you find the same results. However, after looking at your pics and the cracking in the boots, you should definitely get yours done. If you have any experience in using a wrench and following directions, you should be able to do yourself. Otherwise you'll find a local shop may charge $1-2K to replace everything for you.