1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heavy steering, will not return to center no DTCs

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bequa, Oct 1, 2017.

1. bequa

bequa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,

I have looked a lot but could not find answer anywhere or any interesting path to follow.
    Recently bought an accident involved 16 Pri Eco, drivers side axle shaft dust covering rubber was torn, not separated and shock absorber bent.
    All was fixed, wheels aligned, no DTCs except P045011 under engine/EFI. (Evap pressure switch circuit?!?)
    No DTCs under EMPS,
    No DTCs under ABS/VSC/TCS,
    No DTCs anywhere else.

All works beautifully except STEERING!
    Obviously steering motor helps to turn the steering but still its heavy and stiff, it will not return to center after you make a turn while driving. On speeds 20-30-40mph steering gets even heavier and very unpleasant.

I tried calibrating torque sensors, still no change.
    After follow up P045011 it is obvious that EFI ECU needs replacing due to short inside ECU according to Toyota tech docs. But EFI and evap pressure is low priority issue atm. I want to fix STEERING.

1. Anyone had such issue?
    2. Is it mechanical problem because system has no DTC?
    3. Could it be steering gear? How can I inspect it?
    4. Could "damaged" EFI ECU cause this to steering?

Thanks in advance!

#1 bequa, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s a good working hypothesis.

Toyota’s Repair Manual, available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu, has a Problem Symptoms Table for the Steering System, to be used when there is a problem without DTCs. “Heavy steering” and “While driving, steering effort does not change in accordance with vehicle speed, or steering wheel does not return to its centered position easily” are two of the symptoms listed in the table with several potential causes.
    There is an inspection procedure for the steering gear in the Repair Manual.
    I suppose it’s possible, but I’d check the other areas listed in the Problem Symptoms Table first.

RCO likes this.
  3. bequa

bequa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I did not check it and def. will have a look.

4. bequa

bequa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota repair manuals pointed two different ways according to problem symptoms table,
    Heavy steering and wheel does not return to its centered position are treated differently and have different elimination lists.
    I suppose heavy steering itself includes problem that steering wheel does not return to its centered position.

Seems its steering gear, because steering wheel does not turn as lightly when powered off as my pip's.

to be continued ...

5. bequa

bequa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the news!
    Steering gear was the problem. The gear shaft inside did not slide easily because outer housing was bent pressing shaft inside.
    Problem solved by replacing steering gear.

So if there are no DTCs output, in almost all cases its mechanical problem.