1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heavy Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by GreenSpeed, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All,

I put in my dual 10" subs in the back of my trunk. Does anyone see a decrease in mileage? Oh, and i've this feeling that my Prius is sluggish and a bit er, unbalanced. Mostly feel like my back end is bombing out when i take corners at anything over 20 mph... Presto? Eagle? Priusenvy? Input? Could it be the weight? Oh, and i'm getting a mpg hit of about 2 mpg... :p can't bring it over 46 mpg argh!

[​IMG]

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a lot of factors that come into play when comparing your fuel economy to various situations. The weight will play a sleight factor in the economy. The extra weight in the back will cause some changes to handling. especially with the Prius' 'awesome' stock suspension. You might also have some extra mass if your fuel tank is full. I know driving around with the tank full and the tank empty makes a huge difference.

Your back end 'bombing out' should be easily fixed with the BT Stiffening plate you plan on getting . There's quite a bit of chassis flex already and the plate should help out greatly.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree, the BT stiffening plate should make a great deal of difference, and is a relatively inexpensive mod to install, only taking about 10 minutes. However, if you leave the tailgate open and really get those puppys thumping hard, I would think between that and the battery you wouldn't need gasoline at all!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(actually, they look good... nice install, bet they sound good too, huh?) :rolleyes:

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, they thump pretty well.. but i've not turned them WAY up. Sighz, it's my first sound system and i don't want to blow em so fast.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also concerned with the extra weight of my subs so i am downsizing from 2 JL 12w3s to a single Diamon Audio D910. The sub itself is pretty heavy but its only one and the box will be less than half the weight as well. The damn Prius trunk area vibrates so damn bad I can rarely max out the volume anyway :(

6. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 24 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]308935[/snapback]</div>
    Merde! Really? I was looking at the Diamond D6. Can you eliminate some of the vibration?
    I am planning on finding a new home for the jack parts on the plastic tray.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 24 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]308942[/snapback]</div>
    I have been trying to eleminate the vibration but its tough. The back hatch is 90% to blame and there is no real good way to apply dynamat to it. I've put it in some areas but I'd have to cover wires and such or take em off then make holes to reinsert the clips etc so its a pain. Then one of the damn clips keeps popping through the hatch and drops in that void between panels so I have to drive around for it to fall to the bottom lol. Sometimes with the mid to low bass notes its not bad at all but get up around 80-100hz and it vibrates like hell.

The D6 subs are awesome for a comprimise sub. IE it has great transient response, hits decently low and is decently loud but it obviously doesnt do everything perfect. No sub does that. I had 2 of em in my T/A with a D3600.1 amp on each. Now Im downsizingg the system I bought for my truck and will just use 1 D910 and 1 D9800.4 to power the sub and 1 set of D971 speakers for the front if I can get them to fit. I used to do high end car audio so I get stuff cheap for myself. Otherwise the D9 stuff would break me at retail pricing lol

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A box like that can get pretty heavy (i had one in my old Sunfire for years). However, keep this in mind: it probably weighs less than an average adault male, right? So it's like sticking one of your friends in the trunk; it shouldn't cause any problems.

Of course, the added weight back there will effect the way the car feels, and you'll have to get used to that. Whenever i had to take them out of the Sunfire, i always felt like the back end was riding really high, although i'd guess it was mostly in my mind.