1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello All! I'm new and have a question about a slight rear collision

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by April&Daisy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. April&Daisy

April&Daisy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello PriusChat world!

I have been lurking since I purchased my first Prius in mid-March. I'm very pleased to have found you, having gained some wonderful information so far! :clap2:

Unfortunately, another car failed to properly assess the distance between my car and their car while backing out of their space in a parking lot yesterday. The other car was a honda civic I believe, and to picture it, we were parked bumper facing bumper, on opposite sides of the parking "lane." I was in my car, foot on brake, in reverse, stopped--waiting for them to back out and exit.

I noticed the car growing closer and closer so honked several times to get this car to stop prior to hitting me--to no avail. She just kept on backing up until she hit me. The woman did not speak english and knowing that the police really can't do anything at all when something happens in a parking lot I didn't even bother calling. I have attached two pictures of the damage to my bumper. I would say it is slight. As you can see, it looked much worse before I wiped it down with a moist cloth. it is now barely noticable--in that most people wouldn't notice it unless it was pointed out.

My question is this: do I need to take the car to the dealer to check anything out at this point? This happened yesterday, around 5:30 pm. None of the airbags deployed, and there are no "idiot lights/errors" showing.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Attached Files:

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Naw. I had an incident on new years eve where a guy decided to try to cross a 5 lane road with less than a football field between me and him. When he saw me he stopped so I t-boned him right in his door/fender.

My damage was a little more than yours but his was pretty big...barely able to open his door. We agreed to let it be since my damage was probably less than deductable and he was at fault. I made sure alignment was still good and no other issues (would've been too late) but have never been to the dealer about it.

If you suspect problems by all means take it in but I would reason that you would be wasting your time and the dealer would probably feel the same way.

1 person likes this.
  3. priigal

priigal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't have anything to worry about. The Prius is built with safety in mind, not only your safety, but the saftey of the hybrid components as well.

Everything should be alright on your car, seeing as it was a low speed collision with minimal damage. I've seen accidents with the rear bumper horribly damaged yet the rest of the Prius and it's operational components completely fine.

Sorry to hear you got hit!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. April&Daisy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both for your time & response! I feel a little better :)

5. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The worst part is having that ugly mark that maybe only you can see but it just screams at you doesn't it? (I know mine does...)

1 person likes this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO nothing to worry about. Save the buying of a bottle of touch up paint for the 1st scuff on metal.

1 person likes this.
  7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose this is not the best way to welcome you to PriusChat. :welcome: in light of your unfortunate circumstance.

1 person likes this.
  8. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a bit late now, but for future reference it's worth noting that you wouldn't have had to pay a deductable if the accident was his fault. His insurance company would have covered your damages 100%.

9. April&Daisy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's assuming, of course, that the people who determine whose fault it is believe us over the other driver, who in my case seemed to take zero responsibility for the accident. That combined with the fact no witnesses decided to stick around, and I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a 50/50 shot of actually having to pay for THEIR damages! I've seen/heard it happen--especially when it takes place on private property/parking lot. I decided to cut my losses and not chance it, since my deductible is $1,000. You just can't expect people to be honest anymore--in fact I seem to base most of my decisions--this one included--on the assumption they won't be. Sad isn't it?

10. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it was more a matter of not wanting to spend my NYE on the side of the road.

The slight dent not worth 4hrs of my time.

11. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    This afternoon I experienced my second rear end collision.

The first collision was at a traffic light at about 3 MPH, after owning the car 5 days. Result - no damage.

Today I was on the interstate and 3 cars were involved. The guy behind me was hit by someone and then ran into me. It felt like a moderate jolt. I don't know the speed but my WAG is <10 MPH. Again no significant visible damage to the bumper. When I got home I waxed it and unless you looked very, very close you'd never notice it.

However, because the jolt was moderate, I'm thinking if the plastic bumper (cover) was removed I'd probably see evidence in the styrofoam (compression). But that's no big deal to me.

I REALLY hope that this is the last of my collision experiences.

12. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    These cars are amazingly tough aren't they?

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Similar incident happened to me last month. I backed out of my parking spot, stopped, turned the wheels. I was completely stationary. Then someone backed up from the opposite side of the "parking lane" and hit my bumper cover. We both got out of our vehicles and she asked "oh, were we backing up at the same time?" in the rhetorical fashion and got back in to her car. I was thinking "no...., YOU were backing up and I was not moving" in my head, but didn't say anything since I didn't see any damage.

14. April&Daisy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing worse than the other party not apologizing is insinuating the whole thing was actually your fault. :rolleyes: