1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hello all new owner here

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by karoo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. karoo

karoo first time owner

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have been driving my 2001 Prius (MWH11) for about 2 months now. Generally I have been quite satisfied with this car. I bought it privately used, with 88,700 miles on it. When I check my mileage using trip meter / gallons dispensed I get about 33 mpg. The "multi information" display claims about 42 - 45 mpg yea right what ever.

I have read some posts regarding cautions on jumping a dead battery. In this light I discovered the following information on how to properly do this.

Research Bulletin 2000-8

Now has any one experienced this problem with this Prius model (2001 MWH11) ? When I put headlights on, the instrument cluster goes black. That is no dimming effect as before. When I turn the lights off it goes back to the bright setting and every thing is ok. The multifunction CRT is not affected by this problem and I can vary it's brightness using the controll on the screen.

I found out that I can remove the plastic dash cover surrounding the cluster just by unsnapping it. the cluster is not loose or anything and moving it around does not change the condition as if a connection problem.
    Any one with any experience or Ideas on this problem?

2. karoo

karoo first time owner

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    yea yea yea replying to my own post pretty lame hu? anyways I searched the database for Instrument cluster and rediscoverd the dimmer switch wheel. Ha problem solved thanks guys!!!