1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello All! - New Prius owner here with some questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Katsu Curry, May 3, 2008.

1. Katsu Curry

Katsu Curry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all,

first off, let me thank everyone who contributes to PriusChat. What a great community and source of info. And I'm sure it's a lot of work for the admins, also - thanks.

A few weeks ago my wife and I rolled away from the Toyota dealer with a 2004 Prius - woot! We've had great fun driving it and the smart key alone has been great amusement.

I've spent hours and hours on the forums. I needed new tires - thanks to everyone for recommendations. Due to recommendations and price considerations, I'm taking advantage of the Costco current sale (60 bucks off) to get some Michelin Radial X's. I don't know if there's a perfect tire for everyone but this seemed to be pretty well received by the group here. By the way, I wasn't a costco member so I got a membership and got a $25 dollar cash card using the code GSWEB18E at costco.ca. (I think it might only apply to Canadian members). There's also a deal till mid May that ordering something over 250 online gets a $25 dollar cash card. So, that's $50 plus good tires at a good price with nitrogen filling.

I do have a ton of questions but I'll limit them for now to just a few.

1. Since the 6 CD changer doesn't work, they're replacing it. Is it possible to a) put a 2006 or higher part in there to get the mp3 capability?

2. I don't have the nav package? Is this something I can upgrade in my 2004 with parts or is this a firmware issue? I would imagine there's some discussion here - could someone point me in the right direction, please? Is this something I can do with original toyota parts rather than the 3rd party mods?

3. I spent all my money on the car. Upgrades will be slow to come but does anyone have any recommendations on the ORDER to upgrade things. I'll probably be getting the BT Tech stiffening plates in a few months since this seems to me to be one of the cheapest things I can do to increase the functionality of the car. Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome. You can't add the nav & you don't want to. Buy a Garmin or TomTom. You'll find they are more functional and cheaper.

Increase the tp to improve fuel economy and tire life. Try max pressure as listed on the sidewall.

Buy some pipe insulation to block the grill. I keep the upper blocked all year.

Enjoy.

3. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fix what's broken and enjoy the car as is, most of the add-ons arent' worth the money for the average driver, IMHO.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello, :welcome: and congrats!

1. I'm not sure. You could ask the dealer.

2. Garmin Black Box will let you use the screen but it's operated by a remote control (included). Otherwise, you'll be looking at portable ones (PND)

3. Go with whatever you deem is necessary :). A BT plate is a good start in terms of stability. Wider tyres help too

5. Katsu Curry

Katsu Curry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Do wider tires actually make that much of a difference (I'm guessing we're talking 195's instead of 185's)? I worry that going away from the manufacturer's recommended will screw something (I'm not really sure what) up. I'm not too worried about taking a mpg hit - just more interested in handling and ride. I'm in Vancouver and we've got wet roads a lot during the year.

I saw the stuffed grill mod on another forum. Does it really make a difference? Does the engine suffer from lack of airflow at all?

Thanks again. I'm one who will rip apart my computer and do all sorts of mods on it but when it comes to my family car (we've only got one) I'm paranoid to screw something up.

Cheers!

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Katsu Curry, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:

Wider tires will hit your fuel efficiency, but they make the car more stable feeling, as does the BT Tech brace. I think going to good tires will make wet handling fine, even without wider tires.

Stuffing the grill is mostly a benefit in colder weather, don't worry about doing it until next fall. You have lots of time to drive your car and decide, and to read the discussion threads.

Safety has got to be a prime concern with your family car, you can't reboot your life easily. Another mod to consider is mud flaps. Even if you don't drive on dirt roads, the flaps keep the sides of the car cleaner.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Although I'd get rid of the stock tyres (if they're still on) btw. Damp roads (not necessarily raining) on partially worn (say < 50% life left) GY Integritys don't have a lot of wet traction.

I've switched mine to Nokian WR and that first snow storm we had on 1st Dec this winter, it performed marvellously. Didn't try the North Shore mountains but QE Park and the like isn't an issue.

I've blocked my grill for two winters now.. only the top though. Definitely helps with the engine staying warm. If you're unsure like I am, just stick with the top grill. The air can still flow from the lower air dam up to the radiator.

And yeah, I'm just talking 185 to 195. Just remember to change the sidewall height to maintain correct speedo readings.