1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello all

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Taterhawk66, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Taterhawk66

Taterhawk66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from Alabama,
    I only thought it proper to introduce myself.
    My daughter bought my father's 2005 Toyota Prius from my father, (her grandfather). It had 245k miles when she bought it and he had put new batteries in 3 years ago. The dash combination meter has gone bad and the red car ! warning light on the computer screen. Well I took it to the dealer and they said $5,500.00 for new batteries and speedo fix and I said no way. He said the HV battery pack cooling system has gone out and cause batteries to overheat and no longer hold charge, all needs replacing. So for 49.95 for the Diagnostic fee I was able to liberate her prius from the dealer. I drive it and notice the batteries are charging and it runs and drives great. So im wondering if it is just the fan. I notice about 2 months ago after a couple of heavy rains at night the next day her car looked like a rainforest. Water could have made its way into the body. So i am a novice and have been reading all yalls threads and I am convinced I need to get a code reader. I am gonna embark on fixing the combo meter. well sending it off after I get it out. Then try to run down the cooling fan problem (if that is what is wrong with it)...
    Nice to meet you all.
    Nath

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, all the best with your project! good move bailing out of that dealer.(y)

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is always a good idea to get the codes, especially when paying for the diagnostic.

I would be concerned about water pooling around the 12v battery & spare tire from the bad seal around the hatch. The seal around the windshield would be my next suspect followed by every other piece of fixed glass. Your situation reminds me of my 1989 Delta 88 at the end of its useful life (17 years). I kept an old towel on the passenger's side of the floor to sop up the water (and wipe down the inside of the windshield). The fog & the condensation made it undriveable in the rain. I gave it to the neighbor who was happy with the upgrade. His only question was whether the air conditioner worked.

I'm not buying the story about the HV battery & the fan. Whether or not the fan is operating properly, it isn't the cause of the battery overheating. The battery is overheating because it has at least one bad cell. If the fan isn't working then that is another problem.

Are you saying the "new" battery is a brand new HV pack from Toyota? It sounds like he swapped out the original for a rebuilt pack or had some of the cells replaced in the original. Three years would be an extremely short time for a brand new pack but it seems to be about all one can expect from a refurb.

Good luck with the project.

4. Taterhawk66

Taterhawk66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply jim and bisco. Yeah our stealersip has a rep of ripping people off. And i am inspired by reading these posts in this forum. It makes me empowered. Lol

iPad ?

bisco likes this.