1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello, and Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Adium, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Adium

Adium New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone,

As this is my first post I believe a little bit of introduction is appropriate. (Skip to below the line if you just want to see my questions)

My name is Jonny and I'm 16 years old. I wanted to get a hybrid for a long time. I think our environment is being ignored and abused. When looking around my school parking lot, I see mostly trucks. What a shame.

Last Saturday (October 3), I purchased my first car, a 2010 Prius, called Blastoise. My parents will pay for half of it and I have to pay for the other half. Not bad, huh?

It's a trim III with navigation. I would expect to get this car for my second or third car, but certainly not my first. However, I couldn't pass up the offer. This car was used but had only 380 miles on it! Apparently, the original owner sold it back after 15 days and purchased an SUV. (What?) So this trim III w/ navigation Prius was only $24,000, and it still smells new. :D

===========================================

So I have a few questions that I couldn't find here or in the manuals.

1.) Is there anyway to get a "guide" of all of the XM channels? That is, a view of all of the channels similar to how I see my presets.

2.) When connecting my iPhone via Bluetooth, why can't I see the song information and buttons to skip songs, etc.?

3.) Sometimes, when listening to music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, the pitch lowers a pretty good bit. Is there a solution for this?

4.) I don't think that I have the USB port, but how can I be sure? Where would it be located?

5.) How can I keep the display on something other than the map Whenever I go to Audio, for instance, it will switch back to the map after a short while.

6.) Can I turn on the backup camera even when I'm not backing up?

7.) In my navigation manual, it talks about setting a backup point so it will turn the wheel for me, and all I have to do is accelerate/break. How can I do this?

8.) Should I accelerate quickly or slowly for the best mileage? (I know this is up to some debate.)

Thanks! :)

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will answer a couple:

1. Just go to the XM web site and you can print out a list or channels.

2. through 4. I'm not sure of the answers but try search and you will get more information than you can read in one day.

5. Setup, General, Auto Screen Change to Off.

6. No way anyone has found yet.

7. I think this refers to the Parking Assistant which is only on the Prius V with ATP.

8. I use the HSI screen as a guide when I can but you should read the Fuel Mileage topics on here. Also remember what works on conventional cars doesn't always work for the Prius.

Oh, and welcome to the site. :welcome:

3. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    #4:
    When was yours made (see the door sticker)?
    The center "arm rest" compartment has a cig. lighter type 12 power jack, and a mini-stereo (AUX) audio input.
    I think (not sure) the "new" USB port would be there.

Mine, made in 7/09 does not have the USB port.

4. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    #2:
    Probably the information is not available, or the Prius III + Nav was just not programmed to get and display that info.

5. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    #3:
    Do you mean lower volume, or lower pitch (harder to do)?

6. Adium

Adium New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I mean pitch. To me it sounds like it goes down about a half step (for instance G would be F#) but I'm not entirely sure, but the pitch definitely lowers. :confused:

7. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That would mean the software/hardware are outputing the "sound" data at a slightly too-slow rate.

Exactly under what circumstances does one hear this?

I want to try and hear it here.

8. Adium

Adium New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not entirely sure when it happens. When it happens, it seems to be right after the music starts playing though. However, it doesn't happen every time.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I cannot address the NAV-specific questions or the 2010-specific questions, but there is a great deal of consensus that for best MPG, accelerate briskly, but not hard or light. If you accelerate extremely gently you may be able to keep it in electric mode, but that just means the engine must recharge the battery later, which is inefficient. If you accelerate very hard, the car will again draw more power from the battery to supply the torque for the hard acceleration. Somewhere in between is best. If you can find the spot where all the energy is coming from the engine, and none from the battery, that is ideal, but for us ordinary folks, accelerating the same way the average driver pulls away from a stop light (moderately) is close enough, and has the added advantage of being the safest as well.

10. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since the rest of your questions seemed to have gotten a correct answer, I wanted to help with a few more.

2.) The limitation of only seeing a Play/Pause button for the iPhone is an iPhone limitation. My wife's blackberry works without issue, providing more controls and visual song display. Future release of iPhone BT streaming to address this current limitation.

3.) It's a digital connection, so it should play what the device is outputting or nothing. This seems more likely to be an iPhone (or recording) issue? Hard to tell from a one sentence explanation of issue and circumstances surrounding it. More details from you may help others to help you.

4.) The other poster is correct. If it is factory installed, the USB should be in the rear portion of the center console. Otherwise, if dealer added, it could be under the center dashboard 'flybridge', close to where the Seat Heater buttons are for cars with factory leather seats.

And by the way, WELCOME! :welcome:

11. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe an initial music-data buffer should be "fuller" before music-play starts. Then, with the buffer seemingly "getting empty", the rate of music play might slow to try to avoid having a "gap" in the music playback?

Apparently due to some interaction between the Prius, the iPhone, and the BT communication.