1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello and Stock Wheel offset & Weight?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ryecatcher, Sep 18, 2004.

1. ryecatcher

ryecatcher New Member

Howdy everyone,
    We just got our new 04 silver; first 24 hours are nothing but positive kudos for this feat of engineering!
    Question: Does anyone know the stock wheel's offset and weight (with and w/o tire)? I've got a set of 16" Momo superlight forged wheels (very light good looking wheels) that I had bought but never installed on a prior lexus, and I am wondering whether they will fit. If I don't hear any responses, I'll be taking a wheel off soon (if my wife lets me near the car!) and measuring myself. Will post results.
    THanks all for your contributions!
    Luis

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is what I have, don't know the weight, sorry. If anyone else knows I'd love to also :)

Tire Size/Rim Size/P.C.D(mm)/Offset(mm)/Holes
    185/65R15 15×6JJ 100 45 5
    195/55R16 16×6JJ 100 45 5

The 16s of course are the European Wheels and the 15s are the US Wheels

3. Driver-72

Driver-72 New Member

I just bought a 2007 Prius Touring model.
    It comes with 16" wheels and tires.

I took them off and weighed them and the tires and wheels combined
    were 36.2 pounds.

Tirerack lists the Bridgestone EL-400-02 tires it comes with as 19 lbs.
    That means the 16" wheel is roughly 17.2 pounds.

I am going to put on lightweight wheels myself.
    Found a nice set of Enkei's that weigh 14.8 pounds each.
    A 2.4 pound drop in rotational mass for this low powered Prius should make a noticable difference in gas mileage improvement as well and
    a bit better acceleration, braking, and steering.

I'd love to know what the offsets are on the OEM 16" wheels though.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "I'd love to know what the offsets are on the OEM 16" wheels though."

They are listed on the post above yours but you can measure them as well. Take a straightedge and put it between the rim edges inside the edge lips. Measure from the straightedge to the wheel mounting surface. Now measure the rim thickness, and subtract that. The first measurement is the "backspacing". Subtracting the rim thickness (part the tire bead rests against) gives you the "offset". The backspacing is the most important measurement. It will tell you if the wheel/tire will contact the suspension. The offset can be adjusted to compensate for interferance issues if you are changing wheels. Don't change it too much, as that can change the loading on the wheel bearings and suspension parts, and if you go too much can be dangerous.

You can study all this and more at: http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=40