1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello and thanks! Plus questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mormegil, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I just registered on PriusChat, so I wanted to say hello to everyone.

More importantly, I've been lurking since Saturday, and learned alot of stuff, to help me on my Sunday purchase. So thanks for all the knowledge, advice, and deals.

My previous car, a 12 year old Integra, died for the second time this month on Friday - so I decided time to finally get that new Prius.

Before I went on this site and KBB, I thought Priuses...Prii...whatever were still selling for MSRP due to demand. Seeing some of the stories here, and with the help of CostCo and a relative that works at Toyota, I was able to get my new 2007 Prius for $600 over invoice! So again, thanks for the help. I also decided to get it this week, before the Tax Credit ends (that I heard about here), instead of waiting until next like I planned.

Here's my turn to give back a little. Maybe I'm an idiot (I don't do a lot of car shopping, haven't bought one in 8 years) - and I got the Gap Insurance. My advice, don't. You'll get a much better deal with your regular auto insurance on Gap Insurance (pays the difference the Insurance company pays [based on vehicle value] and how much you owe).

Now, I've got a couple of other questions, and I hope it's OK to ask here.

First off, do I need a decal to park in the Metered Spaces in the City of Los Angeles? Does that only apply to the City, or the County too?

Would installing a DICE iPod adapter void a lot of the warranty?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, you'll love your new car.
    Can't help you on the parking thing.
    Dice won't void any warranties unless it somehow feeds back and damages the radio head unit or you do something very wrong (it would take a serious effort on your part).
    That said, read through the Dice thread carefully before you buy. For many of us our satisfaction level is less than extraordinary.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mormegil @ Sep 25 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]517575[/snapback]</div>
    Funny; despite never living in LA, I know the answer to this. Apparently I've been spending far too much time on Priuschat :)

Until the end of this year (2007), you can park a hybrid for free at any meter in the City of Los Angeles. After the New Year, you have to have a CA clean air sticker. However, in both cases, this ONLY applies to the City of Los Angeles.

See here for the official word.

4. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Sep 25 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]517736[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. I guess we're sort of SOL if we didn't get the Clean Air Vehicle sticker (which isn't available anymore).

5. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mormegil @ Sep 25 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]517575[/snapback]</div>
    My Acura Integra was also 12 years old when I sold it this past spring, just after buying my '07 Prius. Wanted to use it as a trade-in, but the dealer only offered 2K for it, I sold it for $4800 in a private sale, and the ad was out only one day. Had low miles (89K), so I was very surprised when the dealer offered so little.
    Anyways, you made a good choice in choosing a Prius!

6. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Sep 26 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]517797[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you did better than me.

Of course mine was 170,000 miles, broken A/C, with a broken engine part (not exactly running), and in BAD need of a paint job (paint faded away in most places). The dealer wasn't even interested in it as a trade in.

Blue book for my car if it was running (= repair costs), was about $2400. I put put it on Craigslist for $2000 (assuming I'd fix the engine). Ended up selling it same day for $1400 with no repairs. I think I could have gotten more if I held out, but I was just trying to get rid of it. I was originally going to donate it... but the cash helps more.

Anyway, back to the Prius. I really like it...but unfortunately, I've already put a couple of small marks on the spoiler! It turns out when I park in the underground parking just wrong, and open the hatchback, the spoiler hits a concrete beam. Guess I need some touch up paint.