1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Spcalan1, May 16, 2011.

1. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First off, hello from Georgia. Post # 1

I currently drive a 2003 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4 that averages 12 MPG.

I drive a 100 mile loop from Home-Work-College-Home 4 days a week. Considering semesters are 16 weeks long and 3 of them/year = 19,200 miles @ 12 MPG = 1,600 gallons = $ 6,400 in fuel.

I am thinking about trading the truck for a Prius - for 2 reasons -

#1 - MPG - enough said
    #2 - I actually like the look ( I actually owned 2 Honda CRX's back in the day ).

But the more I read about the Prius, it sounds more like buying a computer than a car. I know the 'new' electric technology is somewhat emerging and new.. I just do not want to buy a car that I have to learn the ins and outs - that would normally be with a 'normal' car.

So I ask of you...with facts and opinions please help me with my decision.

Thanks,
    Alan Hicks

2. pictone

pictone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can certainly drive the Prius like a "normal" car. This just means that you will get a measly 45-48 miles per gallon instead of 50+!

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:

The Prius is what you make of it.
    You have a little different system for starting it and shifting gears, kind of like how the Saab has the ignition switch between the front seats. You quickly get used to it.

As far as the computer/electronic aspect of it - you can ignore that if you want. It has a display that shows information to help your driving style and to show what the car is doing, but at least in the beginning it's best to just drive and not be too distracted by the display. If you don't ever look at the display you'll probably get 45-55 mpg (based on you being in Georgia and having a longer commute), depending on time of year and average speed and how heavy you run the A/C. If you look at the display and change your driving habits based on that, you might get 48-58 mpg.

Then there's other things you can do to improve mileage, and some people get a little more carried away with this, and that covers a fair bit of the threads on this site. But you can drive it just like a normal car, that's perfectly fine. Just ignore the people here obsessing about getting the next additional 2 mpg out of the car.

I waited a bit for the tech to settle down and be proven before I bought my Prius - and that was back in 2006. So by now, I think the technology is well tested. Several cars have gone over 300,000 miles (on the original battery pack) without problems to speak of.

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alan, welcome to PriusChat:welcome:

I completely understand how you conclude from reading that driving a Prius could be like buying a computer. I assume you're doing most of your reading from this forum which consists of Prius enthusiasts/techies, so it's bound to sound more technical. For an oldster like me, I drive the car normal and let the technology take care of itself.

If the Prius doesn't fit your requirements of budget, capacity or 0-60 performance, then you've made a smart decision. Don't rule out Prius because of technology perceptions, or assumptions about driving complexities. As you know, all new cars today offer a full array of onboard technology, including command-based sound systems to ICE computers, self-parking programs, computerized suspensions, etc.

I assure you that you can just get in, drive it, and forget it!

Hey, how complicated can a Prius be since I see so many old people (myself included) driving one. I think there's a thread here about Prius driver age.

For me, the Prius delivers the MPGs and low maintenance costs that I wanted in a car. Whatever car you pick, I hope you love it as much as I love my Prius.

5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan, welcome to the forum. I promise, tens of thousands of Prius owners just get in and drive it every day. Most are more concerned about what to get at their morning stop at Starbucks than they are about how to get the most out of the car. This is a forum with a lot of enthusiasts that love to push the envelop. It can be done, but not everyone here cares about that either.

I've always done all my own maintenance and the Prius is one of the most care free cars you'll ever own. Beyond figuring out where to plug in the iPod and when to change the oil and check the tire pressure, just drive it and "fuggedaboutit". ;) No one will be the wiser and if you want to get into it deeper later on that's not problem either. It's just a car. Treat it like one. You can choose to remember or forget that it has the capability to go way beyond EPA numbers if you want it to. That's up to you.

Coming from several 4Runners, I can personally tell you that if you do get a Prius, you'll be hacked at yourself for not doing it sooner.:D

Good luck with your decision.

6. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your insight and enthusiasm.

7. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you guys for the personal insight and information.
    I have found a few Prii (?) in Atlanta and I will be checking them out later this week.

I drive 99& of the time by myself to work and college - no problem there.

0-60 performance - it won't be like my V8 F-150, but did get blown away yesterday on I-985 by a light blue Prius.....

Budget - trade my truck in, sale the boat, give us some cash - I am doing what needs to be done!

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too sold a gas guzzling truck which averaged approx. 14mpg. I have since driven 134,000 miles in my Prius with zero problems.

If this doesn't entice you to swap vehicles I don't know what will...

Cost analysis for 134,000 miles driven: (truck numbers are hypothetical since I did not drive it during the time I owned the Prius)

2005 Prius
    Purchase Price $28,000
    Average MPG lifetime: 47mpg
    Fuel cost Lifetime: 134,000 / 47mpg = 2851 gallons * $3/ga = $8553
    Total cost for car and fuel = $36,553

2000 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4
    Sold for $10,000 (purchased for $34,000)
    Average MPG: 14mpg
    Fuel cost if it had not been sold: 134,000 / 14mpg = 9571 gallons * $3/ga = $28,714
    Total cost for truck and fuel: (134,000 miles + 82,000 miles from new till I bought the Prius) $80,285

If you take the $10,000 from the sale of the truck and apply it to the purchase price of the Prius you end up with $18,000. Now subtract the total fuel cost for the Prius from the fuel cost of the truck. $28,714 - $8553 = $20,161.

So the Prius has saved me $2,161 ($20,161 - $18,000) after being paid off. So now I have a paid off car that is 5 years newer than my truck and I will just continue to save on fuel. To make this look even better, buy a used GenII Prius and you'll make my savings look pitiful. ;)

Owning a gas guzzler just doesn't add up when you look at long term costs. :(

9. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for the great calculations.
    I have found a possible buy:

2006 - dark gray
    $ 13,800
    85,000 miles
    cloth seats - so i assume base model, but does have navigation - strange
    still under 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty - very strange - not buying from dealer - just a used car dealership.. may be bogus...

going to drive it tomorrow.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck! Buying a used Prius is the best economic choice. :)

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First let me say I like my 2009 Prius (65,000 miles so far, 45 MPG)

Now I am going to list 'negatives' about the Prius, and you will realize that few of them apply to you.

When you cold start the Prius, it tries to get the pollution control gear warmed up and ready, so extremely small commutes are not amazingly better than other cars. You are better off driving a long way as the first leg, then making all your stops getting home.

The Prius HV and 12 volt batteries dislike not being used. If you routinely park your car over 3 weeks at a time, this can be a problem. Drive it every week, no problem.

The traction control prevents wheelspin. If you need wheelspin in your lifestyle, (snowy slopes, gravel driveway, etc.) the Prius is not a good choice.

The Prius is low hung, both front and back, I am amazed anyone 'lowers' their Prius.

800 pounds of passengers and cargo, and 0 pounds of towing is not a great deal of cargo flexibility. Eight foot lumber is easy, ten foot lumber is possible.

The 12 volt battery is sized small, as it does not run a starter motor, sadly every 4 years you need a new one at $140+ Being that small, leave the car in Ready when consuming electricity. Toyota placed the batteries in the passenger compartment with your loved ones. Only use AGM batteries with external venting. Since it does not run a starter, you may find you are inexperienced at telling when a car battery is dieing if it never makes that slow starting noise.

Toyota has tried innovative technologies to reduce pollution, The North American fuel bladder in the Gen II Prius prevents vapor buildup. It also makes predicting when you will need fuel challenging. Get gas when you get to two pips if you have passengers who will never let you forget when you stranded them. One pip is fine if you drive solo and never have to admit you ran out. Get gas NOW if it starts blinking, trust me.

None of these are all that unusual, but you deserve to know weaknesses.

12. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There were several packages available in 2006. I don't recall if navigation always meant leather, but it's quite possible they don't have to go together. The 5 year warranty would be ending very soon, but at least you'd have some time to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong with the car after buying it. The warranty goes with the car, it doesn't matter who's selling it. There's a longer warranty for the hybrid system (main battery pack, electric motor, inverter), I think it's 8 years/96K miles except in California where it's longer yet.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does not. I have an 06 package NL. I have everything except leather. 06 was the first model year where factory leather was offered.

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html lists the years and packages.

14. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My driving pattern is always set - Home to Work, Work to College, College to home - 4 days a week.

So I would be driving it every single day and twice on the weekends!

Traction control - everywhere I go is paved, and in GA - rarely do we ever get snow. and if it does, I would take a day off - ha.

I don't mind the low(ness ) of the car. But would not lower it ( I am 33 years old ).

8 foot lumber? Wow - my F150 Supercrew ( with the 4ft bed ) can't do that! But again I can't pull 7,000 pounds of mulch on a tandem trailer with the Prius. But how often do I do that ?

Batteries are batteries...

I always fill my truck up at 1/4 of a tank. So no problems there.

15. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So do you think the price is worth it?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look around to see what else is out there for pricing. it's not great, but these days, it's not horrible either. just beware that at 85,000 miles, while most pri have few to no problems, you could get the expensive lemon. all the best!

17. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good summary!

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. As long as it is comprised of slim pieces like posts. They fit between the seats and stop right before the stereo. I often haul 8'x4" wood posts for building H-braces or 8' t-posts for my bird boxes or building barbed-wire fences.

Attached Files:

19. Spcalan1

Spcalan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So if you had to choose - leather or cloth seats ?

20. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good price to me. The Prius is a reliable car.

I've hauled 100" (8' and change) lengths of 2x10's before with the hatch down. Fold down the passenger seat and the back seat, and it doesn't touch the dash or the hatch. Taking off the headrest allows the seats to fold flatter.

I also haul a full size (27" wheels) mountain bike in the car without taking a wheel off. It's a little tight, but goes in easily enough. 46" LCD TV in the box also lies flat in the back, probably could go up to 50". Can't remember if I had to put the rear seats down on that one.