1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello, finally looking into a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by scotto79, Jun 16, 2011.

1. scotto79

scotto79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the time has come that I finally want a Prius. I've already decided on a used 10 or 11 model. Right now I drive a 3.5 Magnum wagon and get 18 mpg and use about $150 a month in gas at $1.25/liter. Thats paid off though, but I wanted to know if it would be worth the trade if a used Prius is $22k.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are looking for economic excuses to by the Prius then you will eventually save enough in fuel to pay off the difference for the car and then start working your way into the black instead of the red. My old GMC Sierra only got 14mpg but the fuel savings allowed me to pay off my GenII Prius within 5years. It definitely makes economic sense if you drive enough miles yearly. For those who drive very little then it may not pencil out as economically beneficial. Buying used is a great way to start off saving.

Now if you want to get into the rationalization that you are reducing dependence on foreign oil, polluting less (environment and community health as well as agriculture) and pushing the idea of fuel efficient cars then you will receive instant gratification by buying the Prius if you care about community and national support. :)

3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could wait just a few more months to wait out the market. Then again gas might go back up, inventory might stay low, and the prices might not drop.

Keep in mind that based on your monthly fuel costs, you will only save about $90 per month in fuel. It's actually not that much.

I think the marginal drop in utility from going from your Magnum to a smaller Prius is not great, and the increase in fuel economy is much greater. So in my mind the pros outweigh the cons. Just depends on how much you get on the trade-in.

If you really want the Prius, why not?

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Before getting my 2010 Prius, I looked at the economics of gas expense savings break-even. It took a long time (far longer than I've ever owned a car). Gas cost savings was not the reason I decided to get a Prius (the reasons were environmental), but I decided to do the analysis just for info.

To answer your question, take the number of litres saved per year (based on the different MPGs of your current vehicle and a Prius, and the number of miles you drive per year), and multiple by the cost/litre. Then divide that into the incremental cost of a Prius (less the trade-in value of your current vehicle) to get the break-even number of years. It's going to be a long time. ;)

5. scotto79

scotto79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A large helper is that I only paid $2500 for the Magnum after getting an $8000 cheque from insurance. I checked on fueleconomy.gov and came up with a $2100 savings each year. That and my poor Magnum is still worth a bit now for a private sale, but falling fast. Now I just have to talk the wife into it. I'm not worried about the cargo because we also drive a Caravan.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and welcome!
    :welcome:

OK...so you're up in Windsor (south of Detroit, in Canada...for the studio audience) and gas is about $4.75 a gallon, and you drive about 6K a year.....based on the info that you've provided.

Your car probably doesn't have very many miles on it, if you bought it new. I'd try to sell it privately before pulling the trigger on a new Prius. They'll stick it to you if you trade it in. Since it's paid for, and you're only spending a buck fifty a month on gas, economics say you stay pat for a few months (maybe save some money) and wait for G3 prices to normalize.
    That's probably not the answer you wanted, but as stated before if you really, REALLY want a new Prius in your driveway then you're going to have to do it for reasons other than fiscal prudence. Winters are pretty tough up there in the frozen North. You're going to take a bit of a mileage ding (about 5MPG) with the G3 during the 9-10 months of absurdly cold weather that you have up there.
    Just so you know.

Still....if you want one...go get it.
    I'd rent one and drive it for a weekend before committing to owning one if it were me. Priuses are pretty good cars. They're light on maintenance, easy on gas, and there are lots of cheerleaders for this car. The G3 seems to be fairly dependable, and they're also very VERY "green"....if you're into that.
    Still, as I always say, there are certain items in the Prius ownership experience that should be fully explored before you stick one in your driveway. A fifteen minute test flight with a sniveling sales person in the co-pilot seat ain't gonna cut it!

Good Luck!!!
    Let us know what you decide! :)

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This supports my previous post. Saving $2,100 per year, and paying $22K (less whatever you'd get for your current vehicle) for that privilege, does not make economic sense. But there are other good reasons to get a Prius.

8. scotto79

scotto79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its more to get rid of the Magnum while I can, the new payments won't hurt since both cars are already paid off. I know that if I drove the Mag for a few more years, I would be out the difference anyways since Chryslers don't hold any resale value.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No car purchase is just about numbers. If it was we'd all be driving old beaters, LOL. Have a decent test drive, see what you think. We did two test drives, the second in a Canadian "Touring" model, with the 17" rims, which we ultimately bought. Felt much more comfortable in that model, fwiw.

10. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel is right. Usually we go with a number we feel comfortable spending, then find a car to match it. If you wanted to save money, you'd be buying probably an '07 Prius with 80K-100K on the odometer (since you don't drive a lot, you won't be adding huge numbers to what's already on the odometer, so resale value would actually go up, relative to other cars from that year).

Can you really find a used 2011 Prius already?

11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck with your decision to get rid of your Magnum. I hope you find a buyer, given the price of gas. Sounds like your first challenge is to sell the Magnum, then try to find a used Prius. It can be done, but patience may be a virtue.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    GL with everything, and welcome!

13. scotto79

scotto79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably won't be too hard because I'm in a Chrysler city, people will take a domestoc with garbage mileage over an import. But I did sit in both an 09 and a 10 model and prefer the newer interior.

14. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If looking for used Prius, try searching Toyota Certified Used. This is how I got mine:
    Certified Used Toyota Cars, Trucks & SUVS