1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by beforebraces, Apr 24, 2009.

1. beforebraces

beforebraces New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used 2006 Prius from a dealership last year and I really love it. Great for hauling the young one and his gear. Happy with all except the mileage.... I have not yet gotten an overall average of higher than 41.4 mpg. I have asked at the dealer and they tell me it is my driving or the weather conditions or.... I would just like to know if this is a good med or bad average as I was hoping for higher. I drive both highway and city. I'm a steady wins the race kind of driver so you tell me?

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You didn't say what season it was last year when you bought your 2006. In the warmer weather the mileage should improve. Here are some tips that I've picked up here on the forums:
    • Weather does have a big effect. Cold weather will reduce gas mileage. Here in Kentucky we've had warmer weather the past couple of weeks. My gas mileage this last tank is averaging 48 mpg, in an area that is pretty hilly. This is a few mpg higher than the mileage I was getting the previous two weeks when the weather was cooler.
    • Tire pressure plays a big part. Keep them at 40F/38R, or 42F/40R. The factory recommended tire pressure will produce a softer ride, but will negatively impact your gas mileage (and you tire wear).
    • Make certain that you have a clean engine air filter. A dirty filter will reduce mpg.
    • Don't put in too much engine oil. It should read less than the "full" line on the dip stick. More oil than that can reduce mileage.
    • When on the highway, use the cruise control in areas that are not too hilly.