1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from Bristol!

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by aminorjourney, Jan 29, 2007.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!

I thought I'd just take the opportunity in the International Forums to say 'Hi!'.

My Partner and I are both heavily into EVs (My daily driver is an all electric 'City el' from Germany - More details here! ) and we also own a few electric scooter and bikes. I'm also converting 1965 Morris Minor to electric but that's taking some time :blink:

We've been visiting Kate's (my partner's) family in Fairfax, VA and borrowed their Prius for a week. They hate it but we love it and are in the process of getting a UK spec 07 Glacier Blue TSpirit.(We have to talk to the very nice Bank Manager and then we'll be ordering it later this week all being well!)

We noticed that the UK 06 spec cars had a different dash finish to the American model we drove - but that the new 07 spec cars have the same dash as the American 06 ones?!?!? It's much nicer and the screen seems better resolution too. Has something changed recently?

Our ultimate plan is to convert it to a PHEV but I suspect we'll leave it as a factory hybrid for a while. Kate is a professional geek and I suspect we'll mod the awful beeping noises but we'll see!

Anyway - Hi from Jolly old Bristol, UK!

Nikki and Kate

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Jan 29 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]382207[/snapback]</div>
    It will be interesting to know how long your garage keeps you waiting and if they offer you any discount on RRP. (They probably won't) I suggest that if you want quicker delivery you take whatever colour they offer you rather than wait for a particular one.

Why did the US family "hate" the Prius? What is there to hate about a car if it works as it should?

What's "awful" about the beeping noise? (reversing and seat belt warnings). They're there for a purpose and are safety measures. You'll find out why there's a reversing beep when you accidentally put the Prius into reverse at a red light!

3. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 29 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]382216[/snapback]</div>

Hi Oxo! :)

We placed the order last night. Glacier Blue TSpirit - and it'll be with us within the week :) (Yay!)

The American Family didn't think the seats were comfortable or the mileage good. The latter is due to the way they drive it. We borrowed it for a week and got the average Mpg raising from 40mpg (what they were getting) to over 50mpg. They drove it so aggressively the poor thing never got the chance to get in it's stride!

Ah - the beeping. Well. personally I'm no fan of it but you do have a point there. Hmmm... Perhaps we could live with it. does it happen a lot then?

Nikki.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Jan 30 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]382782[/snapback]</div>
    You hear it when you're in reverse. I get two lots of beeps at the same time because my Prius was supplied with warning beeps which come on when the back is about three feet from an obstruction and grow to a continuous whine when there are only about 9 inches to go! Very useful. It once stopped me hitting a pedestrian who walked past the back of the car as I was backing out of a parking place. Also enables me to back up close to a wall without bothering to turn in my seat.
    The seat belt beeps in my Volvo 240 used to start immediately someone sat in one the front seats but the Prius beeps don't start until you've been in the seat for maybe two or three minutes without belting up.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  6. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 31 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]383483[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that Jack, and cheers to OXO too :)

Jack, your location freaked me out. My surname is Bloomfield. It's an East Anglian name which you don't hear too much out here in the west of the UK. It always amuses me it's a common placename in the US :)

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Feb 1 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]383761[/snapback]</div>
    We have several of them here and they're the affluent areas. Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, West Bloomfield to name a few. Another name that seems rather common here is Birmingham, also affluent here in the Detroit area.

8. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 1 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]383806[/snapback]</div>
    There's only one place called Bloomfield in the UK and that's an urban area about 5 miles west of the centre of Birmingham (only one of those, too). Unlikely to be many blooming fields there but there probably were 200 years ago. There's also Blofield (a corruption of Bloomfield?) in Norfolk, a small village east of Norwich so more likely to have a few blooms in fields.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome to PC, Nikki.

Oxo, let's not mention Birmingham again. :p