1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from New Zealand!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by MattNZ, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone

I'm Matt from Auckland, New Zealand. I've been lurking around this forum for the last few weeks reading up everything I can.

I'm picking up my Prius C S-Tech this weekend, am very excited!

In NZ we only have two trims, the base Prius C and the Prius C S-Tech. From what I can tell the base Prius C is similar to the trim 2 in the US, and the S-Tech is similar to the trim 4. NZ details can be found here: http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models/Passenger/Prius+c/HybridsTech5DrHatch/1.5L/ECVT/Overview/

The key difference with the NZ S-Tech is that it doesn't come with the Display Audio or Sat Nav, nor the heated seats. It does however come with 16" alloys, alongside the rear spoiler, tints, upgraded synthetic leather seats, retractable mirrors, dealer installed alarm, etc.

To make things even more confusing, the Australian trim levels are the same, except they have the I-Tech instead of the S-Tech, which swaps the standard Bluetooth headunit on the S-Tech with the Sat Nav unit (not Entune though) and a rear camera. Only 15" alloys however. Accounting for currency difference it is the same price for S-Tech and I-Tech - a bit of a rip off really given you get less functionality! Oh well

Anyway, back to the car - got NZ$4k off as it was a demo model, only had 400 kms on the odometer, awesome stuff!

Am keen to understand where I could source a Display Audio or an Entune headunit so I can fit it to my car. The dealer quoted $3k and I'm hoping I can find cheaper out there. Maybe someone who has updated their headunit is happy to sell second hand? Or can you get them from Toyota Dealers direct? Have a friend that flies to US every week or two so I can organise shipment easily.

Am looking forward to joining the family!!!

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Sounds like you and I may end up swapping notes, at least until we get some more antipodeans in here. :)

I think our c's are probably more comparable to the C3 and C4, though the audio unit discrepancies between the Aus and the NZ versions are notable. Glad you're getting the larger rear spoiler which I assume will be the same as mine (which I love and admittedly as I test drove a base model, didn't fully appreciate until I picked up the car :whistle: ). I'll be interested to hear if you get the steering wheel controls for voice recognition and bluetooth on/off hook - these are absurdly missing from the Australian c - the voice recognition button is on the head unit and the on/off hook control is on its touchscreen.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Matt welcome aboard to another kiwi (I can say that right?).
    Watch out for volcanos (how about that recent one?).
    I had a several month stay in NZ many years ago.
    Can't imagine how much fun it'd be driving around the island in a Prius.
    How big are the trout in Lake Taupo these days?

4. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If I am not mistaken someone here had some conversation about entune HU replacement with some aftermarket one, and sell the original one. I am not sure if it happened though, but you need to check audio section on C forum.