1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from the land of Caterpilar

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Cat_Prius, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Cat_Prius

Cat_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just stopping in to say hello. The gf and I just bought a used 2007 model yesterday, after a couple weeks of research on this forum of course. We're happy so far, having driven it over 100 miles from the dealer we purchased from with no issues. The only problem that we've found so far is the dreaded flashing cruise control light, which I will be digging into shortly.

I'm a hobby mechanic and have spent most of my life repairing and modifying cars and machines of all ages and types, though to be honest, this will be the newest vehicle I've ever worked on. Still, I'm confident I can do any work the Toyota dealer can do.

Vehicle stats: Black, 184,000 miles (90% of it highway miles), rear camera, VERY CLEAN, single fob (we need another), and that's about it. lol. All maintenance was done on schedule by the Toyota dealership and I even got all the records from the dealer I purchased it from. Including the warranty on the new battery he had installed and all the stuff done by Toyota. Even the alignment was excellent for the age.

Any wear-n-tear bugs I should be on the lookout for? While I do like and trust the used car dealer we bought it from, I do plan on going over everything with a fine tooth comb, as soon as I get the chance and know what I'm looking for.

While I don't have much in the way of work I plan on doing so far, there are a few things I want to tweak.
    1. GPS install. We'll be mounting a GPS on the dash just for normal city driving. Any suggestion on which one or where/how to mount it?
    2. Additional charging ports. I'll be taking my time on this one, since the electrical system is SOOO much more complex than what I've worked on in the past. I'm think a dedicated USB charging port on the front of the center console and something on the dash for the above mentioned GPS.
    3. Ejection seat. I mean, come on, what car would be complete without an ejection seat!?

Any other ideas, tips or suggestions?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota has no schedule to drain and fill the transaxle with ATF WS. By 184,000 it is due, unless you can find it has been done. It is simple in theory and simple if you can get your car raised and level. About $40 in fluid and crush washers for DIY, or about $110 at a dealer.

My preferred schedule is 30,000 miles, 90,000 miles and then every 90,000 miles, so you are at a good place to get in the habit.

(Cat makes Hybrids, too! Cat | 795F AC Mining Trucks | Caterpillar)

#2 JimboPalmer, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  3. Cat_Prius

Cat_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. That's exactly the kind of info I need. How much ATF WS should I use?

(Those C175 gen sets for the AC drive are impressive to stand next to. 16 cylinders with 4 turbos is nothing to sneeze at.)

4. ahado

ahado New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nc to meet u sir, btw im from asia

RCO likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    4 quarts of ATF WS, and 2 washers. (It will take about 3.5 quarts)

#5 JimboPalmer, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With that age, you might want to replace the 12 volt battery, especially if it is the original one. A weak 12 volt battery can cause all sorts of strange issues.
    I believe the 12 volt battery is located in the right side of the rear cargo area.
    It would also be good to check the air vent(s) around the rear seat. Those vents help cool the large traction battery.

All the best. I just purchased a 2017 a few weeks ago but my son has has Prius for many years. I know that sometime before he got his 2015 Prius V, he replaced the 12 volt battery in his 2015 Prius just due to its age.

#7 Prodigyplace, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  8. les.warden

les.warden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have a 2008. Other than tire's and regular oil/filter maintenance, I've replaced the 12V battery in the rear on the PS. I think it's time for the shocks/struts replacements. Just trying to decide if it's a DIY project or whether to take a dealer hit. Ouch!!
    BTW: I have a good cycling buddy that works in Decatur. He's in the process line that builds those Giant Caterpilars.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.