1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hello how much is the average services for 2010 prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by theog530, Apr 5, 2011.

1. theog530

theog530 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    how much dies the average sservices for the 2010 or older prius cost. i asked my dealer and i didnt get any info on this subject. eigther way i am happy and pleased with the car. just wish my dealer was alittle more forthcoming with information.

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat.

You need to call your dealer and ask him to price out the Toyota recommended service requirements which ought to be not much more than an oil change, depending upon your mileage. A synthetic oil/filter change for your 2010 Prius should be about $75, more or less, but it's good for 10,000 miles. Read your recommend service manual that comes with your car. Your dealer should be able to price out these recommendations at various miles. If dealer won't, then find a new dealer for service.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I pay 60 for oil and filter change 0w 20
    and 20 for tire rotation.

And please don't do what the dealers say read your owners manual.

5k tire rotation
    10k oil/filter change and tire rotation

If you asked your dealer about the prius and what it costs and they were unable to answer your question, try another dealer. i wouldn't let a dealer work on my car that couldn't read/add numbers.

4. jrb451

jrb451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had my first 10,000 mile service visit yesterday. Got my oil changed (synthetic oil), filter and tire rotation. It was all covered under a 2 year or 24,000 mile free maintenance agreement I received when I bought my car. Had I had to pay for it the invoice showed $36.00 for the oil change and $17.75 for the tire rotation.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (you do not list a location, so we have no idea what currency you use, or what Toyota recommends in your country)

I have a 2009, which uses conventional oil every 5000 miles, while the 2010 uses synthetic every 10,000 in the USA.

Oil change is $27, rotation is $13, out the door it is $47 in rural Mississippi.

Synthetic would be much more, half as often.

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $36 for 0w20 and oil filter plus labor? Good luck with that. I hope it's just a free/invoice thing.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe with all this tire rotating get them to check the brakes once in a while, LOL.

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It depends on which service you're referring to (5K, 10K, etc.)--refer to the warranty/maintenance booklet for details.

For the oil/filter service, I've been paying $40 ($25 web/coupon special plus $15 premium for synthetic). That's required every 10K miles (although I have it done every 5K miles). The tire rotation (required every 5K miles) & multi-point inspection (including brakes) has varied. Last time it was $27, 2 times before that was $9--depends on web/coupon specials available.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A multi=point inspection (including brakes) for $27 could not be a decent brake inspection, or service, whatever the language. Likely would only be a cursory glance at pad thickness while the wheels are off, for the incessant tire rotations (grumble), and another cursory glance for brake fluid leaks.

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The US maintenance booklet calls for the following (at 20K miles, which my car was at; everything except oil/filter service and cabin air filter replacement is at every 5K miles):
    Check installation of driver’s floor mat
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    Replace cabin air filter (solar power
    ventilation system only)
    Replace engine oil and oil filter
    Rotate tires
    Visually inspect brake linings/drums and
    brake pads/discs

What more would you want regarding brakes every 5K miles? Keep in mind these prices are from shopping the best web/coupon specials.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought tyres at Costco, which includes rotations. I honestly would swap the tyres myself with less hassle than waiting for them but i want the record for the mileage warranty.

Why are people going to the dealership for trivial maintenance ? A DIY oil exchange or filters is so easy, saves time, is much cheaper, and you know it was done with attention.

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've paid between $50 & $70 for scheduled service including oil/filter service. I schedule an appointment and am in an out in less than 1.5 hours. It's just not worth the hassle to do it myself. Then you have the old oil/filter to dispose of. I guess you drive to the local parts store, so that's additional time/hassle.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An oil exchange takes about 10 minutes of my time. I do something else while it is draining.

No driving to parts store, I bought a box of filters and washers years ago, and stocked up for a couple of years on oil when a good price was offered. Once a year or so I bring the used oil to a shop I pass every day.

Honestly, how much hassle is it to unscrew a cap, plug and a filter ? I'm not trying to convince you one way or another; I just thought I should mention for people who are price shopping that DIY is trivial.

I should admit that anything I can do mechanics wise, so can a blind-folded monkey with one hand behind the back and the other holding a banana.

14. Ontarget

Ontarget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm with you, bought 10 Toyota filters and my local Walmart just started carrying Mobil 1 (0w20) five quart jugs for $23.50. My first oil change will be by me @ 5000 miles. Bought a Fumoto drain valve to speed up the process. I guess I'll have the dealer do the next two for free, but I am a little nervous that they will screw it up.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota uses 2 expressions in the Canadian Owners Manual Supplement, relating to brakes: "inspection" and "service". The latter interval is longer, maybe 24 months? Also, the format of this Canadian document is incredibly convoluted, describing the service requirements of every Toyota vehicle. It's sort-of conversational in style, virtually driving you to make a spreadsheet, just to objectify it.

Just my 2 cents: they don't do a very good job of explaining brake service, or outlining service interval. Coming from Honda vehicles, my experience is that the tires are rotated once yearly, in conjunction with a reasonably thorough brake inspection, consisting of:

Removing the lower caliper bolt, swinging up the caliper and pulling the pads right out. Then clean, relube and re-assemble. Couple this with maybe bi-yearly check of disk parellism, thickness and runout.

Even the Toyota Repair Manual skirts the subject: it basically explains how to completely tear down the brake assembly, which obviously does not need to happen at each brake service. There's no specific outlining of what they mean by inspection or service.

16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been driving for a long time, and have owned many cars, including a bunch of high performance cars. The Honda brake servicing you describe has **never** been performed on any of my cars, except when new pads and/or rotors were required.

Given how little the Prius conventional brakes (pads & rotors) are actually used, due to regenerative braking, it seems to me that a cursory inspection as called for every 5K miles is more than sufficient. My dealer gives me an inspection sheet that includes various fluid level checks, hoses, oil leaks, fuel leaks, tire & brake thickness, etc. Feel free to pay for a more thorough inspection/service if you're so inclined.

17. malamalama

malamalama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As you can imagine, everything costs more here in Hawaii. As of 3/31/11, regular unleaded gas was averaging $4.25/gal and I think it's gone up since then. I heard Maui was close to averaging $5/gal.

I have a 2010 model IV and when I bought it, I got the first 5 services free from the dealer (every 5K or 6 months, whichever comes first). When I took it in for the 10K service and went to pick up the car, the invoice was about $150 (can't remember the exact amount). We quickly realized the service agent forgot to apply the no-charge coupon and it ended up only $10 instead. I'm guessing without the coupon, the 10K service would be $150 over here.

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To share your misery regarding gas prices, I filled up yesterday (regular) and paid $4.18. :mad:

Many dealers around here also (try to) charge ~$150 for the 10K service, but since we have lots of Toyota dealers in the bay area, it's easy to shop for web/coupon specials. For my recent 20K service I paid $70, but for the prior few (5K, 10K & 15K) services only paid $50.

19. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm getting slow in my old age. It took me a long time to realize your fill up was not $4.18, but you paid for 4.18 per gallon.:embarassed:

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :D